Building a gaming rig!!

Sal!ent

Baseband Member
Here it is. $1,084.00

Case: Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black

Power Supply: ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )

Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8500 (2x 3.16GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink )

Motherboard ( [SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology )

Memory ( 4 GB [1 GB X4] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand )

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )

Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )

Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 32-Bit )

Sooo... I had a couple of question... im looking for it to be able to handle some high end gaming, with the occasional time spent on multimedia.

With the set-up currently I was thinking there are probably a few areas with which minor changes need to be implimented..
ie. network cards

Would a substitution with the network card be of a vital impact from a LAN network (gb or 10/100) to.....

(1) Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card * *

(2) Killer K1 - Online Gaming Accelerator - w/ 333Mhz Network Processing Unit + Lag & Latency Reduction Technology * *

(3) Killer M1- Online Gaming Accelerator - w/ 400Mhz Network Processing Unit + Lag & Latency Reduction Technology

Would this have a dramatic increase in overall performance and quality?

Also if there are any other minor changes to the processor,motherboard which anyone thinks may be able to allow for an increase in a relatively smooth play and high performance please make any suggestions. Trying to reach an FPS of 150 -200.

primarily cod 2,4,5 & 6

Get a better heastink fan such as the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the Thermaltake Ultra 120. What brand is your PSU? Ditch the nVidia chipset and go with an Asus PQ5 (P45) and an HD4870 instead of the GeForce 9800X2. For your hard-drive look for the Samsung Spinpoit F1.

Like the previous poster said, get Vista 64-bit so you can take full advantage of the 4GB of RAM. Try to switch that 4x1GB sticks to a 2x2GB sticks to leave room for more. Lastly, you won't need a separate NIC unless you constantly share files along a network. In that case I'd recommend a gigabit card.

it seems that he is using cyberpowerpc or ibuypower, so he doesn't have those options

using ibuypower...I think they're one of the only websites I know which take order and deliver.

unfortunately i'm not exactly familiar with the echelon in specific graphic cards... I had known that the 9800Gx2 was a solid benchmark at its own.
Also, with the Asus vs. nVidia.. what exactly is the benefit in terms of quality/performance and congruety for each.

Also I had been sticking with nVidia for quite sometime now.. and was curious.. if it might beneficial of switching to Ati... are there any graphics cards in Ati which are slightly better than the 9800Gx2 for a reasonable price fluctuation... which would also be congruent with the rest of the system....

with the chipset, nvidia makes pretty bad OC boards, so if you plan to OC with it, its best to go with another chipset.

The graphics card company are both pretty much the same thing, though it seems ATI gives better performance for the price since they are cheaper.
From the benchmarks i have seen, the 4870 beats the 9800GX2, and the price seems cheaper too.

Intel duo core @ 3ghz +.. or Intel quad core @ 2.5ghz+?
Also, does anyone have any websites with i70 'cores' with
comparable prices and increased performance scaled (ghz).

and which do you prefer nVidia 9800Gx2 1GB or
ATi Radeon G4870 1GB for the Call of Duty series.

nvm .. saw a couple sites and I would imagine the quad core is probably a viable way.
unfamiliar with i70..
intel core extreme could be something

lol im everywhere..

If you want to have a good gaming computer while saving some good bucks go with a faster-clocked C2D. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee you that a C2D will support high end games for much longer. I don't know how fair they are with writing multi-threaded games.

Back
Top Bottom