Dual booting

I enabled hidden folders and added in this line:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium" /fastdetect

is that even close to what I am supposed to do? lol

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows Vista Home Premium" /fastdetect

is that even close to what I am supposed to do? lol

Just to be sure, make sure that the value for rdisk is indeed a zero and not an "O". As long as Vista is on the first disk on the controller and on the first partition of the hard drive, it should work, if not, try playing with the values until it boots. :)

Good thing you pointed that out, lol, I will try and reboot now.

SUCESS!!! It asked me if I wanted to boot to XP or Vista!! Now I just need to get another drive with Linux on that list too!! lol.

And I kind of like this XP Black... and I'm even using firefox 3 in it instead of IE7.

Notice: Make sure that when you select Vista, it actually loads !!!!! That will ensure to you that your values for multi, disk, rdisk, and partition are correct !!!

It's legal as long as you own XP Pro.

So Vista didnt work... I had to put in the disk and run repair, and now it boots Vista fine, but it doesnt have a boot menu to select XP anymore... ugh... such a PITA to get this to work, lol.

I guess I forgot to mention to edit the boot.ini file manually instead of with windows repair if Vista didn't boot. :rolleyes:

It's legal as long as you own XP Pro.

So Vista didnt work... I had to put in the disk and run repair, and now it boots Vista fine, but it doesnt have a boot menu to select XP anymore... ugh... such a PITA to get this to work, lol.

Only Pro? not home?

Well, it was a system 32 error... It found the Vista partition, but gave me a system 32 error.

XP Black is a modded version of XP Pro. If you want to do it legally, you need to own XP pro.

try Easy BCD, but it's always easier to install XP first and then Vista second, general rule of thumb is the older OS first, the newer one second, it's a lot simpler that way, the operating system you are installing is going to write to the hard drive's boot sector, pointing to it's boot loader. The XP boot loader won't recognize Vista (Vista is newer), the Vista boot loader will recognize XP though...

Back
Top Bottom