Weird problem with an old computer

djskiggz

In Runtime
I got this old computer that sometimes does not start up. You hear it power up and everything but nothing, just a black screen. But this only happens sometimes?? Sometimes it will boot up just fine and other times...we'll you just have to hit it a few times and it then turn it off an on and it finally boots up. I'm stumped.

Its an old p4 1.6

Oh yea i forgot to mention: When it does NOT boot up you will not hear the "BEEP" but when it boots you hear the "BEEP"

Do you hear any fans spinning when it powers up and you have no picture? Are you running a dedicated video card or onboard? If answer is no to the first question, your PSU might be in due for a replacement. If you have a dedicated video card that could also be in due for a replacement as well as the motherboard if you have onboard video.

Yea you can hear the fans spinning and you cold hear it powering up. But after it goes through a power cycle it just fails and just stays powered up but no beep and no picture but I can still hear the PSU fan spinning. The video card is a old radeon (back when it was top of the line lol).

The weird part is if I hit it it works after i turn it off and turn it back off AFTER it has already failed LOL.

Oh duh! It's not POSTing. The problem here is with the motherboard/CPU. Try clearing the CMOS (removing the battery on the motherboard. Make sure the computer is off).

Back
Top Bottom