Dual booting and linux question.

The[J]oker

Baseband Member
Hey everyone,
I'm new here and was wondering which linux OS is the best to use.
I've tried Ubuntu - personally hated it. I dont know why
I'm thinking of trying Arch or Kubuntu.
Which do you prefer to use. I'm going college in networking and I would need to know how to use linux properly. I know Ubuntu is good for beginners, I just don't want to use it lol.
And another question.. is dual booting worth it?
I haven't tried it before but if you dual boot would you need to install everything separately in both of the OS? If so that takes up a whole heap of room. I'm just use to running VMware and booting off the images.

Thanks.

That's good, I'll be needing that for my course.

Although I'm running Vista, not XP. Would it still run fine?

Hi,

Joker, let me ask you a question that you might seem trivial, but is important. First what didn't you like about Ubuntu?

I would also recommend that you check out a few different distro of linux, the main ones that people use are Fedora, SUSE, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, Debian, Gentoo, and Mandriva. There are many others take a look at linux.com for others. I would recommend that you burn some livecds and see what makes sense for your tastes, as we all have different ones.

Cheers!

Hey wmorri.

One thing I didn't like about it was the skin. I didn't know it was so customizable. I only tried it on VMware, didn't try it completely.

I'll take your word for it.. I'll have a look around linux.com.
Thanks.

Can someone answer my question on dual booting please.
Thank you.

Hi,

As to your question about dual booting. It is totally worth it. It gives you a chance to learn and experiment with different OS's and see if you like them. For instance I would recommend that you dual boot any linux distro that you want to use. This is because there will be for a little while things that you want to do and programs that you want to run that only work on Windows, and as such you will will want to boot into it.

Cheers!

I'll always be a Slackware fan; never failed me, none of the garbage put in with the other distros.

If you're going to dual boot you should absolutely make a shared partition so your Windows XP/Vista, Linux Distros, Mac, whatever can all share documents and music. That way if one of the operating systems fails, youve still got your files :)

Thanks for that =]

I was thinking of getting slackware and suse and trying them simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom