Xtreme GAMINg pc, my budget is $2k

djskiggz

In Runtime
I'm looking into building a pc exclusively for gaming. I will not be overclocking or doing video editing, etc...Im purely interested in gaming performance.

I was about get this:
http://www.buyxg.com/system/XG_Gami...g.com/system/XG_Gaming_Thunder_CrossFireX_PC/

But a friend told me to just build one. THeres just one problem. I don't got a clue what brands or types to get. THeres so many damn products!!

So far im thinking:

Graphics Card: 2x Radeon 4870 x2 crossfire. Is that the best way to go? I keep hearing about this card.

Motherboard: NO Clue? I've always heard ASUS brand was excellent and the best so I'm sorta leaning that way. I just have no idea what i should go with. I want something that supports the new technology just incase i want to upgrade later...Should i go with Asus or is there a better one?

Memory: No idea. I just want a lot and it needs to be fast. Super fast. I think I want to get 4gb or 6gb is that too much?

CPU: No idea..theres so many damn CPU's. I know I want intel and no AMD. But I do not understand all of these different types! I-core, duo, quad, i7 wtf!! I'm so confused. I just want somethign fast and that will load everything in lightning speed... lol

Everything else I can figure out on my own...I need help on these 4 parts. Can you guys possibly post some newegg links for me and give me some suggestions?

I checked out that builders guide on here but its for budget under 1500, I got a higher budget and I just want to get the best of the best.

Any help or suggestions?? THanks.

CPU: E8600 ~ 270
GPU: Sapphire HD4870X2 x2 ~ 980
MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula ~ 290
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) ~ 71

This will leave you around $400 for other parts. If you must cut-back on something, get the Asus P5Q Pro instead of the Asus Rampage Formula. It will save you around $150.

The reason I don't recommend the Core i7 is because this is strictly for gaming. The highest affordable clock is 2.93GHz while the E8600 offers 3.33GHz. Since you won't be OC'ing you better go with the E8600. Plus, games don't even use more than 2-cores. If you had a 3k budget I'd recommend the Core i7 965.

So I should get an i7? Is there any particular reason why? Will that I7 be good enough to load all the current games with no prob & no overclocking?

The ram: I've always heard to go with cosair memory or kingston? I never heard of G-Skill memory, is that a good brand?

Don't get i7. If you will read my post above you will understand why. This machine will be used for gaming only. There's no advantage in buying the i7 other than the fact that it is future technology. G. Skill is a very reputable brand.

CPU: E8600 ~ 270
GPU: Sapphire HD4870X2 x2 ~ 980
MOBO: Asus Rampage Formula ~ 290
RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2x2GB) ~ 71

This will leave you around $400 for other parts. If you must cut-back on something, get the Asus P5Q Pro instead of the Asus Rampage Formula. It will save you around $150.

The reason I don't recommend the Core i7 is because this is strictly for gaming. The highest affordable clock is 2.93GHz while the E8600 offers 3.33GHz. Since you won't be OC'ing you better go with the E8600. Plus, games don't even use more than 2-cores. If you had a 3k budget I'd recommend the Core i7 965.

Whats the diff between the PQ5 and the Rampage? Why such a big price diff? Will the rampage or the PQ5 support a I7 if I want to upgrade the CPU later?

Why would he not get the i7 processor? His budget is $2,000, he's going to want to futureproof it as much as possible. And eventually, you'll probably want to overclock. It's really not that difficult, and it's totally worth it.

On the other hand, don't get DDR3. It's not worth it yet, the DDR2 would probably actually be faster (look at the timings on the DDR3 :eek:) not to mention the price difference.

Now that you ask, go with the P5Q. The reason Rampage is more expensive is because it has a far better North Bridge (as far as OC and Xfire goes). The Rampage will not support the i7. These new processors use a completely different socket and will require a different motherboard along with DDR3 memory.

Why would he not get the i7 processor? His budget is $2,000, he's going to want to futureproof it as much as possible. And eventually, you'll probably want to overclock. It's really not that difficult, and it's totally worth it.

On the other hand, don't get DDR3. It's not worth it yet, the DDR2 would probably actually be faster (look at the timings on the DDR3 :eek:) not to mention the price difference.

If he's to get the i7 he has no choice but to go with DDR3 and a more expensive motherboard. All this money he will have to shell out will take away from money he could be using on graphical performance.

Back
Top Bottom