My Compiz Show Off Video

Mac's effects are preety boring, and Windows's effect is preety much of a memory hog. Linux's Compiz / Beryl is mostly a CPU hog, so there is a down on all of them. But Compiz offers a crapload of options.

My CPU usage never got above 15% when making that video. My friend runs Compiz on his old Dell laptop with a 1.8 GHz P4 and 768 mb of RAM with an integrated card. It must just vary from user to user.

15% is a hog :p

Technically, what's now a hog, is 1-4%. Although, with all this stuff going at once, it's acceptable, and you do got to use your CPU as well. Imagine buying a CPU just to never use it...you get the idea :D

Yeah, I think it's fine. I experience no slow downs when doing everyday stuff. I even play games like Counter Strike with compiz still on.

You gotsta use those 2 cores somehow.:)

I could never get compiz to work when I had ubuntu. Linux just gave me too many problems to deal with keeping it

I could never get compiz to work when I had ubuntu. Linux just gave me too many problems to deal with keeping it

Linux can be difficult for some. You have to learn it. Everyone had to learn Windows at some point. You just have to learn it. Most people are happy with Windows. After you learn Linux, it's not hard at all.

It all comes down to your needs and preferences.

Yeah I might give it s shot again if I have time since it is so easy to install it with wubi.

lol. Start by going to http://www.getdeb.net. Search for Ubuntu Tweak. Install that and then you will have to log out and log back in. There will be options for 3rd party applications. Check the programs you want like Compiz, Firefox, and them. All this does is makes it so that you get the latest software. Then go to the Applications installer in Ubuntu Tweak. Install all the software you want. IM me when you get it all up and running and I can maybe help ya through.

Back
Top Bottom