Gaming Laptop or PC?

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
I'm in college now and everything is good for the most part except I'm tired 24/7 from the lack of sleep :eek:

Anyways, I've been wanting to play some games up here but I really can't on my crappy macbook for two reasons: 1. its a mac and 2. its very weak graphics card as it is integrated.

So after this Christmas I will have about 1500 more or less to spend on either a gaming laptop or on buying parts for a new gaming desktop. Obviously, the desktop will have more power and will save me money in the long term by being upgradable.

But there are two caveats:
1. My dorm room is quite small and uncomfortable. I like to spend as little time in it as I can, preferring either the large common room downstairs or the library.
2. My roommate is always in the dorm, making noise and at times has several guests over which can be a bother if I am in the room.
3. Desktop is obviously not portable and I will be flying home from time to time during holidays.

but aside from all this the desktop will be much more powerful and I can get a very good one without even using up all of my funds. Next year, I am planning on looking into a single dorm just for myself so the desktop will be very at home there.

The laptop has its own advantages which is mainly portability and having the option of playing downstairs with friends who also game on their laptops.

What do you folks think I should do? I'm split when it comes to this decision.

Thanks

PS. The issue of assembling the desktop would also have to be dealt with. Should I send the pieces here to college and put it together here or should I put it together back home (less distractions and less people to mess with it) and then ship it here, which would cost a lot of money and might break in transit...

What games are you looking to play? Do you like to play in high resolutions?

I just want an up-to-date computer that can play the newer games coming out, even if all the settings arent maxed out.

I'd like to play left 4 dead, CS:S, and the Half Life 2 series, fallout 3, oblivion. call of duty 4 too

Thanks.

I'm sort of leaning towards a laptop but it just sort of feels like a shame I'm not getting as much for my money.

If I could make a desktop work, I'd go with it in a heartbeat but I'm not sure if it will work.

If you want to be crammed in your room for hours on long with a desktop go for it. I don't think gaming while you're uncomfortable is fun, but if that floats your boat...go all for it.

laptop ftw. mine has an 8600 gt. not a bad card really. plays crysis fine. what more do you need :)
i find its just great to be able to bring it around with you. only thing i want to do is hook it up to a monitor at some point.

Back
Top Bottom