Gateway memory

Big Dan

Beta member
Ok. I can't seem to figure out exactly what model this machine is however it was manufactured in 2002. Its got a pentium 4 1.60ghz processor. 512 mb of Ram. I want to upgrade this and i'm trying to figure out what type of memory it has in it. I'm thinking its pc133 however i'm not sure. I have another two computers i would plan on pulling the memory from and thoose are a HP Pavilion 7485 and a Compaq Presario 5000. The Compaq has had upgraded memory so there is more then just the 64mb it came with.

So i'm trying to figure out what memory i have in the Gateway and if the memory from the HP and Compaq will be compatible?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Crucial memory has a system scanner tool that will tell you exactly what memory you have, what type it is, and how much you can install.

Linky: Crucial

That link helped. Figured out that what i have in the other 2 isn't going to work. Now my question is its showing that the max i can support in this Gateway is 3072 mb. However its also telling me i have only 3 bays that can support a max of 512 in each bay. It says i have 3 bays so from my calculations i don't see how it can except 3 gigs when there is only enough space in the bays for 1.5 gigs based off of the 512 mb limit in each bay. So is my max 1.5 gigs or 3 gigs?

Maybe it will be easier if i copy and paste a link to the results. http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=2920ADC431D926C3

If it helps any i'm wanting to increase my memory capacity to do an online radio show and overally just make it run faster.

Dan

The max the motherboard chipset can handle is 3GBs. But the system is limited to only 512MB per slot. Weird huh?

So the best you can do is 1.5GBs with that system.

PC133 memeory isn't cheap anymore. The lowest I found on Newegg is $31.99 for a 512MB stick: WINTEC AMPO 512MB 168-Pin SDRAM PC 133. You can probably find some good deals on eBay.

yer ignore that max memoery thing because its just what the chipset can handle or something cos when i run the system scanner on my desktop i get a ridiculously large number like 80gb however in my mobo manual i am in fact limited to 2gb

Back
Top Bottom