overall performance

Sal!ent

Baseband Member
Hi,Well i have actually been doing a little research on several occasion and have noticed that prices and equipment "satisfaction" fluctuate. Anyhow, I was a little interested in finding out exactly to what specifications your overall fps can increase dramatically to approximately 150-200...
Now with an intel quad core, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB).. and with a few other optional components .. does it seem reasonable to reach fps of this range. And if so/not.. what type of modifications are necessary.

thanks!

The amount of FPS you get depends on the game you're playing and the settings of that game. The human eye cannot see more than 60 FPS. So if you're above that you're good to go. Generally, people want something higher just in case they have a drop they're still above 60. FPS is mostly dependent on you GPU. However the CPU will often in times bottleneck your GPU, assuming your GPU is powerful enough. The GTX260 is a great card and will perform very well in most games. Most games today are written so that only 2 cores are used. If you have a quad-core clocked at 2.4GHz (the Q6600 for example) and a dual-core clocked at 3.0GHz (the 8400 for example) you will notice better perfomance from the dual-core at higher clocks. If the clocks are the same, performance should be similar. If you're running other things while you're gaming, you might expect a better performance from the quad-core.

the games i am looking to play it on are Call of Duty 4 and 5..presuming 5 is adequate. It won't be overclocked and chances are I most likely will not have any extra programs running.. my system will be running on =

[SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology

or

[SLI] Asus P5N-T Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, 3-Way PCI-E MB

In that case would it be possible to ask for anything over the 150 range for the fps..

What settings are you planning to play? If you want highest, you're not going to get 150+ on a single GTX260.

edit: So you will be SLI'ing the card? And what resolution are you wanting to play on? You may want to consider an HD4870.

preferably high to highest setting..I know it's highly unlikely to have all setting maxed out... so would it be in the neighbourhood with a 260 or a couple cards lower than that?

??? ATI? a lil better?

nVidia benchmarks for COD4 (COD5 has similar graphical requirements): http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14934/10

If you want to take SLI into account just add another 40% or so of the GPU's performance.

4870 vs GTX260: http://www.overclock.net/hardware-news/348655-expreview-4870-benchmarks.html

edit: My conclusion: If you buy 2 HD4870's and XFire them not only will you be able to get a better motherboard but you should be near if not past the 100+ FPS on very high settings.

edit2: If it's cheaper or if you want to save room you could get the HD4870X2

edit3: If you can spend more money you can XFire teh HD4870X2 or if you don't want to spend that much you can get the GTX280 SLI.

Back
Top Bottom