Favorite Server OS

Windows Server is OK (I've used 2k3, not 2k8 yet). I have also used Ubuntu Server, and I've messed with FreeBSD.

It depends what you are doing with it, IMO.

Windows Server is OK (I've used 2k3, not 2k8 yet). I have also used Ubuntu Server, and I've messed with FreeBSD.

It depends what you are doing with it, IMO.

I have worked with Windows Servers all the way to Windows NT 4.0 Server. :cool:

I used xubuntu on my server, very easy to setup and also very reliable. Kinda looking for something more barebone though.

Kinda looking for something more barebone though.

You could try a FreeBSD server if you wanted to. That is about as barebones as it gets. You just install the server and run it from terminal and that is all.

I have used Apache on both windows and linux and find that linux is much easier to use. I haven't run and windows servers, but primarily because I haven't had access to them, or the money to purchase a linsence.

Cheers!

Is freebsd hard to learn? I would probably try it on my PC first to get used to it. Thanks.

I used to be a linux server guy, RedHat (I feel so old saying that) - but then Windows Server 2003 came along, IMO the best server OS ever made. Stable, with the updates it's practically perfect for everything I need.

LukaszR- what do you think of 2008? Every time I see the OS, all I can think of is "Windows Vista Server Edition" and then I crawl into a hole and hide

Don't worry Jackson I know the feeling of saying that Red hat is the way to go. However for those of you that don't want to dish out the money to pay for Red Hat they can now get CentOS which is a community based version of Red Hat. This isn't Fedora which is great but actually a community of Red Hat crazy people.

To Jk, FreeBSD is that hard to learn. Have you ever used a command prompt before to run a system or just get to files it windows or other OS's. If you have then you should be pretty well set, if you haven't then it would be a great learning experience. You have run Xubuntu on a computer before, so I am guessing that you are at least a little familar with a command line. So I would give it a try. Just install the bare minmum and you should be set.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom