building a super cheap pc for a grandma

For one, that CPU will not work because of the 800 FSB. If you look at the specs on the MB it tells you it only supports Pentium 4 HT, Pentium D, and Celeron D with a 400/533 FSB option. As for the RAM, it should be fine. The mobo supports up to 2GB DDR-400. If you're looking for cheap, go with AMD. They are just as good for this type of situation anyway. You could get a dual-core A64 3800+ @ 2GHz for $35.99.

Here's my recommended setup:

This RAM (get 2 for 1GB)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2GHz
This Motherboard
This HDD
As for the OS, stick with XP, it's really all she would need. This M/B is Vista certified however.

Your grand total: $135.95

I am not 100% positive about the RAM, NewEgg's Specs are not particularly detailed as it does not tell me what memory is supported, it only says memory standard. Go to Crucial and look up that motherboard to confirm.

Overkill! My computer is worse than that (AMD 64 3000+, 1.5GB DDR Ram), and I do MUCH more than check my email... I somtimes have 15+ Chrome tabs open, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, MSN, Winamp and More open at the same time.

Sure, it can get a LITTLE slow when I'm doing all that... But my point remains. That processor & the ram is overkill!

it would prbably be cheaper to jus grab a cheap P4 off of ebay. i got my sis a P4 with 512Mb RAM 40Gb hardrive i small for factor so low power consumption and quiet for £40 thats about $80.

I was under the impression that P4's where VERY power hungry! I might be wrong, though.

not really very power hungry as i say im now actually using this box as my server.

jus checked and tis a 250Watt PSU and the processor doesnt have a fan!!!!!!!

temps seem to be pretty normal 45'C ??

im with the grab an old comp off ebay usually there are loads within like 10miles of me on ebay just bid win and go and pick it up ive picked up a few old boxes for various uses off ebay all been fine

Well hey, like i said i have adequate machines sitting in my back room that i could probably just slap a drive in and they'd work like a champ.

On the other hand I'm halfway using this to get some practice building machines. I want to build a quad core system for myself soon but never built before so hopefully this will work out any kinks beforehand.

Also like i said it's the ladyfriend who is buying and wants all new.

Overkill! My computer is worse than that (AMD 64 3000+, 1.5GB DDR Ram), and I do MUCH more than check my email... I somtimes have 15+ Chrome tabs open, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, MSN, Winamp and More open at the same time.

Sure, it can get a LITTLE slow when I'm doing all that... But my point remains. That processor & the ram is overkill!

I was under the impression that P4's where VERY power hungry! I might be wrong, though.

Lmao, I happen to absolutely agree that it is overkill. But there is no reason not to get it if it is in the price range... And since the components are at an outstanding price, even more motivation to get it. She would not need anywhere near what I have suggested. All she would need is the Win XP, Intel Celeron 512MB DDR laptop that I am using right now because it is more convenient. She really does not even need dual core. The Celeron or Sempron would be perfect, but since the A64 X2 is only about $14, I don't see why you would not buy it.

Back
Top Bottom