Help, Cant connect to internet after upgrades

cloonan

Solid State Member
Today I got some new parts for my computer, I had a Nvidea Geforce 8500 and put in two Geforce 8600 for SLI and also put in some more RAM. Since then i have not been able to connect to the internet, can anyone help me or point me in the right direction? Also my computer only recognizes 3gigs of my ram instead of 6gigs, but not a real concern for me.

system specs:
Mother Board - ASUS P5N-E SLI
2.33 Ghz dual core intel proccessor
video card - 2x Nvidea Geforce 8600 GT 512mb
Ram - 2x 1gig, 2x 2gig
OS - Windows XP

Is your OS 64 bit? if not, thats why it only see's 3 gb.
Check the drivers. See if they are all ok. Make sure IE isnt set to work offline for some dumb reason.

OS - Windows XP

Most likely this is 32 bit XP so if that is the case, it would detect only 3GB of RAM (4GB threshold - 1GB Video RAM (2x512)). As Austinn said, check drivers, try reinstalling network drivers if necessary. Also make sure that you are connecting correctly. If you go to a command line and run "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes) and it shows the IP address as anything besides 0.0.0.0 or any address starting with 169.254.x.x, you should be in good shape as far as network connectivity.

ok thanks for thw indows 32 bit

but i reinstalled my network driver and i did ipconfig and nothing came up. i know thats not normal so i went to network connections and the only one there is sending and recieving 0 and there is a lock on the icon, i clicked repair and it says my tcp/ip isnt enabled, but it is.

When you go to Network Connections, there should be one (Most likely called "Local Area Connection"). Right-click the connection, left-click Properties, and make sure that TCP/IP is installed. If not, install it using that screen and make sure that you go under the "Protocol" heading to install it.

Also, if that doesn't work, try rebuilding the IP stack by using the following command:

Code:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

This command is issued via command prompt, just like the IPCONFIG command. Let me know if that helps.

TCP/IP is installed, and i rebuilt the IP stack and so far nothing has changed

Also i would like to say thank you very much for your help

>> I just unplugged the ethernet cord to see if it would do anything, It didnt even recognize the cord was unplugged

Go into Device Manager (Right-Click My Computer, click Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager) and look for a network interface card and expand that option. Double-click the NIC. Check that page and tell me if it shows that it is working properly or if it gives some kind of trouble message.

Also, check in the back and where the Ethernet cord plugs in, when it's plugged in are there any lights lit up and/or flashing?

it says its working fine, and the light is there. I am going to try to put in a network adapter card, a cheap one and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom