Power cable problem

rohan23

Fully Optimized
I need a 12'' extender for my power cable. I have a 20+4 pin coming from my motherboard. Newegg has 2. But, they cost more for shipping than the product is worth. Can anyone help me look for one? My zip code is 21703. Try to keep it as cheap as you can. I'm sure an 8'' wire will do. But I don't want to risk it. I need it for my new case.

Yeah, because my power cable is right above my graphic card. Near the ports in the back. So, unless I drag it over the PCI cards and under the graphic card, it won't reach.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...=ASUS P5QL PRO ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I'm going to have to drill some holes into the case for better cable management. I'll still need an extension to be able to reach from my power supply, across the backplate of the motherboard, to the input itself.

It should be long enough to reach just by going over the cards. I have an Antec P180 case which is larger than the 900 and the cable for my PSU reaches just fine.

See, I don't want to put it over the cards. I'm going to drill 3 holes a few centimeters away from where my motherboard will end. I'll be dragging all of the wires from behind. I'll be taking the 20+4 pin connector from behind the motherboard tray and tucking it underneath the heatsink. It's hard to explain.

You don't want to route a thick cable like the main over the cards. Looks like crap and it's in the way.
As for reaching, it depends on what psu you use. Some have a long main cable while others are a little short. Antec's own psu's take in to consideration the psu being in the bottom of the case so the main cable is a tad bit longer. But they're not cheap either.
Normally the psu fan points down from the top mount and the cables come out off the right back side. When mounted on the bottom of a case the psu is inverted making the cables come off the back on the left side.
The 180 series has the psu sitting up off the bottom of the case in a lock down bracket providing an air gap under the psu. This also allows the psu to be mounted fan down so the cable comes out like it would if it was on top of the case. At least my P182SE is that way.
In the case of the 900 the psu sits flat on the bottom inverted. So that alone would make me either not use that case or find a psu with a long main lead.
As for the shipping being more than the product, that's because most online companies have a minimum order policy. Check local shops. I'm sure you'll find the extender at one.

Back
Top Bottom