Help! Compaq won't boot.

I think Neodude is right then. It sounds like a mobo issue. I was just thinking that usually a RAM error doesn't allow the computer to POST. Plus the keyboard indicators, etc., makes me think that the USB short-circuited the computer and took the motherboard with it. I'm afraid that unless somebody finds another solution, you're gonna need a motherboard.

Are you using a USB Keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard?

PS/2

I unplugged the hard drive, Floppy drive, CD drive, and I still get the beep. I plugged it all back up, and removed the ram card, and I dont get the continuous beep. I get a long beep in recession.:confused: :confused: :confused:

My last thought that the Short in the USB Might have fried the BIOS?

One last try would be to switch the computer off and unplug it completely,remove the RAM and the CMOS battery (Silver Round battery) and then leave it over night.

Put the battery and the RAM back in and hope for the best!

Since the continuous beep goes away when I unplug the RAM, wouldnt that lean the culprit towards the ram?

Yeah,But my method will set the BIOS back to factory settings,its worth a shot.

But the fact that its booting to the BIOS makes me wonder if it really IS the Ram.

Usually RAM problems cause it to not POST at all, just make very annoying beeps. I'm thinking it's the motherboard because it POSTS and hangs, but even my USB keyboard flashes when I turn on the computer, so I think that also has something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom