Help! Compaq won't boot.

67coronet383

Solid State Member
Let me explain the situation here. This is a Compaq Presario C4010CL Desktop.
It started when someone got tripped up in a USB cable that I had plugged into one of the front USB ports. The cable got ripped out of the USB port at an angle and chewed the port up a bit. But, all was well. I used it from time to time with no trouble.
Then, out of the blue, I plugged something into that USB port and the computer shut off immediately. Whenever I press the power button to turn on the computer, I get a single beep, then shortly after I get a continuous beep and that's all I get.
What I have done is I unplugged the front USB port. This did not change a thing.

Thanks in Advance,
Keith C

you might of triped the breaker in the psu. you can reset this by turning the 110 220 volt swicth back and forth while unpluged from wall.

Thanks. I gave it a shot, but still the same results. Press power button, single beep followed by a continuous beep.
From what I understand the first short beep is the power system passing it's test, then it resets, and the continuous beep is a RAM error? I don't know.:confused:

you might of triped the breaker in the psu. you can reset this by turning the 110 220 volt swicth back and forth while unpluged from wall.

:confused:

Thanks. I gave it a shot, but still the same results. Press power button, single beep followed by a continuous beep.
From what I understand the first short beep is the power system passing it's test, then it resets, and the continuous beep is a RAM error? I don't know.:confused:

It sounds like possibly a short circuit. Did you completely disconnect the front USB connectors from the motherboard itself and try it? Although, I am not quite sure why it would give a beep code (unless it is a short circuit). Just for craps and giggles, try to take out one stick of RAM at a time and see if it boots without a certain stick of RAM as maybe some type of electrical phenomenon caused the stick to go bad.

:confused:

It sounds like possibly a short circuit. Did you completely disconnect the front USB connectors from the motherboard itself and try it? Although, I am not quite sure why it would give a beep code (unless it is a short circuit). Just for craps and giggles, try to take out one stick of RAM at a time and see if it boots without a certain stick of RAM as maybe some type of electrical phenomenon caused the stick to go bad.

Yes, I sure did completely disconnect them.
I only have one ram card. I reseated it, and moved it into the other slot, tried it all, still the same results.

When the USB Port Was reuined,it might have shorted back to the motherboard and killed the RAM?

That's kinda the drift I'm getting, which is why I suggested to try swapping RAM sticks, but he only has the one stick. I guess if he can get ahold of another stick of RAM that is compatible to try that. DOn't know what else he can do.

I'm a little more weary to say that it might be the motherboard. I'm kinda leaning more towards RAM.

I have one other piece of info, or two.
When the continuous beep is occuring, the screen is showing the black background with the red Compaq screen. The boot logo I guess you could say. The screen that has f1 options and f10 setup (or whatever the options are) on it. f1 or f10 does nothing when pressed.

Also, you know how when you turn the computer on, all the lights on the keyboard give a flash? (numbers lock, caps lock, scroll lock) Well, it's not doing that at all now. No flash whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom