Computer issue

Brognan

In Runtime
I have a 460 watt power supply with 2 12v rails, and I'm trying to power an 8800gt 512mb card...and alot of the time the computer has issues with even starting up(as in it will power up but I don't even get the option to go into the BIOS or anything like that)...and blues screens when it's on and whatnot

Could the power supply be too low and causing these problems? or could it be the video card? since I can't seem to get it istarted I'm thinking power supply...but would like to have anothers opinion

I just bought a 4870, which is almost the equavilent to that. My PSU is a 610w and it runs things fine. The only problem is, since I intalled it my computer has restarted twice (by its self).. don't know if that's a psu problem.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-90799-8800GT-power-supply.html

Read the third post.

The 4870 requires at least 510w or something.. no idea about the 8800.

Try the card in another computer. See if that works...

-Q

I think the 460W power supply is the problem.

Give us some specs. Cause it will depend on what other components it's powering.

You don't want to feed your set up with 'just enough' power. You have to have enough reserves and account for inefficiencies too.

Yeah, considering my specs I'm thinking it's my psu as well...

Yea...

I just read a thread by you and thought....

Videocard: Sapphire 4870 + 24" monitor
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 QUAD 2.5GHz + TuniQ
Mobo: ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe AM2+/AM2
Memory: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W

You've got a juicy set up there. :D

Having said all that you have a decent PSU there.

But again you just cant rely on the power ratings from some PSU manufactures cause they'll give you a 'peak' rating meaning that the 'RMS', or usable power rating, is actually a lot less than stated. Make sure they state 'true power' or 'continuous @ 50'C' or something like this.

I mean, lets say a PSU stated 600W and this was a 'peak' rating that they 'forgot' to state as well, the PSU will only give about 420W!! Not enough for a big, OC'd gaming rig.

:)

Pentium D 3.2ghz
1x hdd
1x 8800gt 512mb card
2x 1024mb RAM
1x PCI card (Dial up modem...I'll need it when I move)

That's pretty much everything in there that could be a drain

I used to have a list of the brands for a power supply would http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159082 be fine? just something to last me till I can save up for a new computer...gonna get a nice gaming laptop...so I won't try to "improve" it and screw it all up lol

Back
Top Bottom