Partitions and Formats and RAM, Oh My!

finalmike1

Beta member
Sorry about the lame topic title but I just had to do it.

Anyways, about my problem. A little while back (2006) I formatted my hard drives and reinstalled XP on my first, smaller HDD, the C drive. For some reason I had problems and ended up installing XP on my second HDD, the D drive, as well. Whenever I boot up the PC I can choose whether or not to run "Windows XP" or "Windows XP," I always choose the former and it works well. I cannot remember which drive I am running XP off of though, and I wish to remove XP from the other drive. Only problem is I cannot seem to find a way to see which drive is currently running XP. Once I do find out if I'm using C or D drive to run windows, I need to delete the one not being used and I have no clue how to do that as well. Any ideas? I don't think an Everest Report would be necessary for this kind of question but if so let me know and I will post it. Also, in case this help, I posted a "properties" SS with the two Windows folders. Also, pardon my semi-confusing post, I'm running off no sleep and tons of caffeine.
CandD_by_finalmike.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Unplug your D drive, if you boot into your normal windows install you'll know it is on C Drive, if not then it must be on D Drive, from that screenie it would appear that D is your active windows installation, but best to be sure.

Once you have the drive running the Windows you want, boot into it and use Disk Management to format the other drive, be sure to back up any important files before formatting.

You'll then need to edit the boot.ini file to remove the redundant entry.

You can probably find out without taking out the hard drive, but its probably easier, but you'll have to modify the boot.ini anyway, so this is how you do it if you don't know.

Open the Control Panel.
Double click on System,
Click on the Advanced tab,

Click on Settings at the bottom, where it says 'Startup & Recovery'.

You'll now get a new window. Click on the Edit button to edit the boot.ini file.

I must stress that if anything is done wrong here, your computer may not start up.

This is mine for example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

You'll have two though, but all you have to do is change the name of where it says Microsoft Windows XP, to something else, like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Example Windows Installation" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I hope this helps for that part anyway :)

You could always rename them, Save it, and then reboot, and the one you pick is the one you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom