GeForce 8600 graphics glitching

cowdood

Baseband Member
I know I've posted this several times, but I have somewhat of an update. My 8600 has been "glitching" ever since I bought it back in March. It usually only does this when I'm playing games or doing something else graphically intensive. It will freeze and the whole screen will glitch out and become pixelated. Recently, it did this partially just when I was doing nothing.
desktop
245da3c.jpg

desktop again (the whole screen is usually like this and freezes)
2itounk.jpg

iPixel
20uxurn.jpg

I have concluded that my graphics card is faulty; I tried to return it both to the store I bought it from and the manufacturer with no luck. I would like to know if anyone has any more diagnosis/ways to fix this. Thanks a lot.

Hmm, that sounds about right to me...

Mmm... looks like you may have got a card with a very sensitive pixel graphics pipe, or even a damaged one.

You bought it back in March though? Thats a very long time ago to start thinking about sending it back now, though surely it'd have a 12 month guarantee or something?

It's idling at about 66 Celsius, which is about right, no?

I'd say thats a high idle temperature.

My overclocked 8600GTS idles at 49'C.

Only after running the Batch Size Tests in 3D Mark 06, the last 6 tests, will the temperature hit 89'C. And 66'C is what i'd expect while playing..... PKR???.

Make sure your running the correct driver for the card. NVIDIA Driver 178.24.

I have the very latest drivers; I've updated several times. I do think it is a faulty card, which is why I was surprised that PNY did not offer me a refund or anything since it hasn't been a year. It has been doing this ever since I bought it, so I guess it might have been damaged in shipment or something.

@ Remeniz, I don't think that temps have anything to do with this, as most video cards can hit 80 C with no problem at all. Most nVidias can hit close to 120 C before they get into real trouble.

@ OP, I do think it is a faulty card. Shame that PNY doesn't want to work with you, but it sounds like a defective card if it's been doing it since the get-go and driver updates haven't resolved it.

Its just a shame you didn't send it back from the very start, if its been doing it all that time...

Back
Top Bottom