failing Maxtor hard drive

daufoi

Beta member
I have a failing Maxtor hard drive. I purchased this drive brand new as part of a hard drive kit only a few months ago. I already called Seagate about it and opened a case. I received the replacement drive today. It is a refurbished OEM drive. Why am I receiving a refurbished drive when I bought the original drive brand new?

You had a failing Maxtor and opened a case with Seagate?? Going to just assume that you contacted the right company if they sent you a drive.

You recieved a refurb because that is generally what they send you a refurb. When your drive died it was no longer new. I'm sure that's just their policy, many other companies will do the same thing.

Ah, that sucks :( I hope you didn't lose any data, and I hope the refurb drive lasts longer than the last one!
Always make backups though. Never trust any hard drive, or any form of drive for that matter with important data. Its just not worth it, because if it goes, its most likely gone.

In the end, to the computer, its just a bunch of 0's and 1's, but to you, the data could mean the world.

This is why I'm asking for a RAID setup for Christmas. I don't know if I should go RAID 1 or 5.

The refurbs are usually just as good as the originals. Is the refurb seagate brand, or maxtor? If it's Seagate, then it's already better than an original Maxtor.

Back
Top Bottom