Computer won't turn on

oriion

Baseband Member
I just finished putting together my new computer, but it won't turn on. When I flip on the power supply, all the fans move for a split second and the mobo lights up, so I know the PSU is working. But when I try to power up, even from the mobo's on-board button, I get nothing.

This is my setup:

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Video: MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS
CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HD985ZXAGHBOX - Retail
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Everything's plugged in correctly. Please help

Do you get any beeps from the system?

Yup, what Joga suggested. Recheck all cables, check to see that the memory is fully seated, check to see if your CPU is properly seated.

:D

No, no beeps or noise. I press the power button (which is lit up), but absolutely nothing happens.

check RAM in properly (thought if not would probs gives a speaker sound of long beeps)

check power to motherboard in correctly and you have connected alll additional power to motherboard such as 4pin's and 8 pins.

Check to see if the heatsink is seated the correct way around (sorry for belittling you but its quite often the case)- check also (or just recall) either seeing thermal paste at the bottom of the heatsink or apply thermal paste to the cpu yourself.

check GPU has power i.e 4/8pin pci-e power

finally check to make sure your psu wasnt on 240v/110v depending on where you live otherwise kaboom :p

hope it goes well any other questions do tell

also another reason might be because you have the power header switch in the wrong jumpers on the mobo, check those also check if they are the correct way around

I just realized that when I power on the PSU, all the fans move except the CPU fan (despite it being plugged in to the mobo)
That could be the culprit. Mnay boards will refuse to power up if there is no signal from the CPU fan, Also check to make sure it's plugged into the FAN1 or CPUFAN header.

The CPU fan is certainly plugged in to the cpu fan pins. I suppose I could have gotten a fan that was DoA. And the mobo is a pretty spiffy one, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, Atomic. Should I get a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom