Core 2 Duo E7200 Problems

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I've been having a really annoying problem with my PC lately. To start with it started to lag a little and certain points in games. Then in NFS ProStreet I kept getting the "this program has stopped responding" message along with Race Driver: Grid freezing up. I just got tomb raider underworld, installed it on my PC, whenever I walk through a savepoint the computer momuntarily freezes and sometimes completely freezes the game and corrupts the save, so I have to start all over again! Then because I'm locked in the game I have to restart using the button on the pc case, when I reach the desktop the mouse pointer is stuttering and everything runs slowly. I have tried a format with no luck. The CPU is not overclocked and I wouldn't suspect that the gfx card is incapable of playing these games - its an XFX GTX 260 XXX Edition. Thanks for any help.

well to start diagnosing your problems we need to know a couple of things.

1) what motherboard you have?

2) have you tried going barebones to see if any single component has caused the problem?

3) have you run memtest?

4) have you run any cpu stability programs?

5) are your temps in check?

get back to us about all that first then we might try to begin to diagnose the problems.

I'm starting to think that it may be the HDD causing this, I can no longer boot into windows and when I try to install windows it always fails.

1) XFX nForce 680iLT SLI
4) Only the vista rating thing if that counts
5) Temps are fine

I'll try to get the other steps dones as soon as possible.

download Prime95.
and run the small FFT test (i think thats whats it called) for as long as you want, the longer the better.

Reset your hardware to stock clocks, see if the problem persists without the overclock.

I presume your memory is DDR2 800, 925MHz is a healthy oc, it may well be the problem lies there.

Did you run stress tests to ensure your oc was/is stable before this started?

If you are reasonably sure it is HDD try a different hdd.

If the problem persists at stock clocks with the new hdd then start testing hardware, I would suggest memtest86+ for starters, run it for at least 5 full passes or until the screen goes red with errors.

If the memory is fine then as suggested, strip it down to basics and troubleshoot components.

What sort of voltages are you feeding your cpu and memory, also what brand and model is your memory?

Back
Top Bottom