My New 4870.

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Yeah, I hate it...

It's awesome. I can run four WoWs at the same time with no lag, vs two with some lag with my other card. And with the 4870 they can all be on high everything...

The cons - and I hope there is some way to fix it or it's going back.

It is loud. That's the most annoying part. The awesomeness, to me, is not worth the loudness. You can turn the sound up, but it wont drownd it out, it's just an underlying loudness.

It's HUGE! I had no idea how big it was! It takes up two PCI slots (but it only goes in one) and it's long. In my super pro big lightning (lolz) case, it goes from front to back.. there was only one place I would have it so I can plug all of my fans in. But I can deal with that - that's way worth it, the awesomeness that is.

It stays around 47 degrees... my cpu is at 44 and hdd is at 36 just for some references.

I'm about to open it up and see if there is anything I can do :D

Any Ideas on how to make it quieter? :D It's not just when I play WoW.. it's all the time.. when I just leave my computer on.

It's going back if I can't find anything...

Thanks

-Q

I know! It sounds like a coke machine in a really quite room... :D and you can tell it's the fan...

Putting a different fan on is mentioned

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=9604776

Is that hard? :p

XD

There's no need to put a new fan in! I have a 4870 myself and its not loud at all. I have a feeling you have a computer that doesn't have 4+ case fans that make the case louder than the card.

If I'm right, the newest driver version has a fan controller built in. Update the drivers and use the Fan Control setting and turn down the speed to around 30% I run my constantly at 50% and It doesn't bother me, but thats just my computer. ^.^

Also, you better not have bought that card to play WOW. If you did, that's just sad. Get some more graphic intensive games and play em'. With my 4870 I can play Crysis on High Settings no problem. I can play Fallout 3 40-60FPS high settings, 2X AA. That card can do a LOT more than play Wow. Wow isn't very graphic intensive at all.

Post pictures of your set up I wanna see it in a case

I wanted to get this card too but all I play for now is WC3 CS:S Neverwinter Nights 2 CoD4 and Unreal so...that'd be over kill I guess :p

Maybe you can go with a 4850 instead?

Which 4870 did you get? The latest drivers should allow you access to fan speed, I know mine does.

If you do get a new cooler, they aren't hard to install.

Yep, Catalyst control center now has fan control, and if it's running at 47c, I think it's safe to turn it down a little.

Well actually, I looked it up.. and haven't had time for this for a few days. I tried looking in the ccc, but the control wasn't there. I see you guys say something about the driver updates. I did mess arount in the bios and made my TuniQ tower.. something. Anywy, it fixed its self... not loud any more, that I can notice. I can get a picture for you but it will take a while.

And I have three case fans..

Oh, and no, it's not just for WoW.. it's for almost everything you can think of..

I do have Crisis as well as many other games, UT, Zero Hour.. I host many things through lan parties also and I found that it's only as good as the host, which now is AWESOME! There is also some graphic design things that go on as well as some pretty intense animation software... that I wont lend the name to ;)

-Q

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Download the first one on the list after filling in the requirements.
CCC is something you have to have as it keeps track of everything about your video card. Temperature, Fan Speed, GPU load, AA filters, Overclocking, and everything that is worth your wile. The overlocking should be looked at as this card is highly overclockable.

Well, I have never done any of that.. don't know how. And I don't know what to look at and what looks good or whatever for all the other stuff :D

Sometimes my computer restarts now.. it's mostly when I close stuff.. like my TV tuner program or something. I think my PSU is a 610watt... Is the card sucking to much power or what?

You must have the latest version of CCC, not just the display driver to get fan control.

Rivatuner can do it now too.

Back
Top Bottom