Building & I need a new OS

BlindBusDriver

Baseband Member
Ugh my signature is up to date and as you can see im running a 4200+ which is majorly outdated...

Thinking about making a new computer with the day after thanksgiving sale coming up and this is what I've decided upon after reading a lot on bang for your buck on CPUs

CPU
Q9300 @ $245 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043
Or
Q6600 @ $189 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

The Q9300 has higher FSB, Clock speed, and a larger cache so can you justify spending basically 60 extra dollars on it?

I was looking at the newest AMD Phenom 9950 for $184 but most sources pointed the the lower ended Intel quads for better value per dollar any comments on that?

New Mobo
Intel board @ $102 - (need advice on this mobo please) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121314

Wasn't really sure what one to buy kuz i don't understand what chip sets are good and bad this board had everything i was looking for though, LGA 775 Socket + FSB + 4x 240 pin + Pci E

New Hd
Western Digital 250G with 16 MB cache @ $45 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136010

GPU + Ram + PSU + Case + Fans are coming from my old rig :)

Okay so I understand whats going on with the hardware for the most part Ive done a little here and there with computers but my major question is once i receive all those parts and assemble it im going to need a OS... I want to get a OS like my old friend use to have, it was XP but im sadly gonna have to upgrade to Vista for ram :| He had a home edition of XP but he could install it onto his computers over and over again by calling Microsoft and asking for a new serial number. I'm not trying to do anything illegal just use to to install windows on all computers i make from hear on. Do they sell copies of vista that would be able to install in multiple computers that's not illegal? I think im going to need a 64 bit OS to take advantage of my hardware after the upgrade? So what OS should i get, im not worried about word or excell or anything like that just the lowest price that's re installable.

Also when i assemble all of the computer parts into a computer will i just put in the OS disk and it will start the boot / install ect or will i need to do something else? Ive never build a computer from the ground up before I've used www.cyberpowerinc.com till now.

Sorry about the 1400 question post but i figured id put it all together rather than post a million times.

That mobo has the P35 chipset which is great.
That specific model i have no firsthand experience with though. But it looks fine.

As far as the CPU goes, do you plan to overclock?

Definitely get a 64bit OS as you have 4 gigs of RAM and 32 Bits OS cannot take advantage of that memory.

You dont have to get Vista to have 64 bit, Windows XP Pro (64bit edition) is available and is a great OS.

Do you prefer XP or VISTA? they will both work but its a matter of preference.

100% XP if possible, I have a second computer with vista on it and i hate it...
Did you know about the reinstalling factor of the OS?

I don't plan on overclocking the CPU but if i can get the Q6600 for cheaper, OC it and maintain a decent temperature to be almost as good as the Q9300 id be fine with that. (id use a guide im not experienced at OCing)

Then get XP 64bit

and go with the Q6600, its a badass proc.

Many people, including myself can just set the FSB to 333 - 9X multi and change nothing else (voltage ect..)

It it will run at 3 GHZ and thats it. (so the specs would be 3.0 GHZ - 1333 FSB)

I must warn you, i did have a 650 SLI chipset that was not so friendly with simple process stated above, and even adding voltage and tweaking for a long time i could not get it to run stable at 3.0 GHZ.

Using the P45 chipset i have had no problems, and the P35 your looking at is similar so i expect the same results.

But if you want absolutely no hassle get the Q9300, you wont be dissapointed either way.

Kk thank you that settles the CPU Question and how quickly it was answered was amazing, but what about the OS?

Can a standard copy of windows XP 64 bit be installed into multiple computers (at the same house, probably on the same computer after the next cpu upgrade, im not asking for illegal advice) I just dont wanna end up buying XP 3 or 4 times

And once the computer is assembled do you just pop in the OS disk and it starts to go or would I need do something else to get the computer to run like flash bios or format the Hd? Kuz idk how to do that, id have to start reading on it

Can a standard copy of windows XP 64 bit be installed into multiple computers (at the same house, probably on the same computer after the next cpu upgrade, im not asking for illegal advice) I just dont wanna end up buying XP 3 or 4 times
No. It can only be run on one machine at a time. You can uninstall from one and install on another, but not install on multiple systems.
And once the computer is assembled do you just pop in the OS disk and it starts to go or would I need do something else to get the computer to run like flash bios or format the Hd? Kuz idk how to do that, id have to start reading on it
Turn on the computer, put the disc in the drive. Reset, enter your BIOS, set disc drive as primary boot device, save and reboot, press any key to boot from disc when prompted and the rest is simple.

:( on the OS scott would call Microsoft and just tell them he reformatted and they would give him another key code, he upgraded his computer a stupidly often. (only thing i remember about the calls was him saying it was a retail copy?) oh well though.

So to enter my bios i just hit (correct f key here) during boot, boot off the CD and bamb my computer works? like the bios are already on the mobo ect sorry if im being redundant but i dont really understand the concept of getting a new CPU / Mobo and dotn wanna mess it up.

:\ im almost 100% sure im wrong but could i just keep my hd get a new mobo and cpu and not have to get another copy of XP, then all the problems I dont understand could just be avoided.

:\ im almost 100% sure im wrong but could i just keep my hd get a new mobo and cpu and not have to get another copy of XP, then all the problems I dont understand could just be avoided.

The best thing to do is a clean install but you could to a repair install and keep your old hard drive.

How to do a Windows Repair by LambOfGod

1. Go into your computers BIOS and set your boot order to cd rom first (usually DEL key, or F1, F2,)
2. Put the XP CD in the drive and save and exit the BIOS
3. Press a key when you see the screen that says press any key to boot from CD (right after the POST)
4. let windows load its files
5. press enter,(not R you dont want the recovery console)
6. then press f8
7. then press R for repair
8. and let the repair process begin.

Back
Top Bottom