need some help w/ OCing asus p5n32-e sli

Blackhawk17

Solid State Member
i've been trying to figure out good ways of overclocking my beloved gaming rig but i just never had a for sure idea of doing it the right way. before i go on here's my rig... ASUS p5n32-e SLI, Intel c2d e6750 @2.66ghz (factory clocked, stock cooler) 2gb ocz reaper ram (4-4-4 15) 640gb of hd space (2x seagate 320gb sata 3.0gb hd's) and an EVGA 8800 GTS ((g92) w/ 512mb ram)).. i've been thinking about OC'ing it to around 3.0 ghz but I've never been able to overclock it and/or I've never really liked doing it myself. i just need some help getting familiar with all the options in the bios settings. please help me. thanks :)

Overclocking requires patience. It is a lot of trial and error. I've never overclocked an Intel, but I assume the process is the same (based on my knowledge). What you will want to do is raise the multiplier slowly as much as possible. Every time you take it up some run Small FFTs for 10 minutes using Prime95. If you get no errors keep going. Once you get an error, move on to the FSB and OC that slowly and test it using Prime95. Once you can't get any higher, raise the VCore by .1 or .05, which ever satisfies you more. Then repeat the multiplier/FSB process. Make sure you keep an eye on temperature. I'm not quite sure what the max is for the Q6600, but make sure you are well below it. From what I know, I wouldn't want to go over 45C under load. If you want to get better performance on your RAM, then OC the FSB more than the multiplier. This will give you better room to deal with the ratio and will allow you to keep the system stable.

The E6750 has a locked multiplier, so you will have to overclock by raising the FSB. FSB x multiplier = CPU frequency. Raise the FSB in small increments, default is 333 x 8 = 2666MHz. And use Prime95 small FFTs for around 10 min in between every increase so check for stability.

Post some pics of your BIOS, it will be easier for us to explain the settings to you.

Would make things much simpler if we all had an unlocked multi like you Joga :)

Just to add to worship me, you may want to loosen the timings and if you pushed it speed set it back to default. Ram can stop you from pushing your overclock.

alright i got it at 3.0 stable. i haven't touched the voltages yet cause i was hoping i could get a better cooler. on hot days.. i can get up to like 60c with the side panel on. i was hoping i could get the speed up to 3.5ghz. that would really nice. i just need to get a better cooler haha. stock hsf is such a drag lol. fsb is running at 1500mhz (i think it was at 380 or something 8x multiplier), ram at 750mhz. if you need my comp specs they're at the first post in this thread. hopefully you guys can help! thanks :)

Do you have Vcore on auto? The motherboard will raise it automatically, often by too much, which could be causing your high temps (although they're still safe. Try setting the Vcore manually.

alright so i have it at 3.20 ghz and it's stable. i had to manually set the vcore voltage at 1.50 v because it wouldnt boot without it set. my new settings are 1600mhz fsb and 800 for the memory. everything else is either the same or what i had it before. look at the first post if you dont remember :). once i tried 1700 it froze up on me. booting was a bust so i had to power it down and restart. once i realized that i had only a limited amount of time to change the settings before it froze up. in the bios! i never seen anything like it haha. anyways, i was just gonna ask if anyone could help me get it to 3.5 ghz. temps are lower than usual since it night time right now but id say it raised a couple degrees. maybe like 60-62c max load. ive read intel's temp specs and max temps for my c2d are like 70.5c; so im getting up there. id say getting the cnps9700 would definitly help with this little problem :) any suggestions on cpu coolers? ive heard the thermaltake big typhoon vx has the best temps but ive always liked the zalman haha. hope to here you from you guys. :) thanks.

I know 65nm CPU's can take more than the new 45nm's, but 1.5 seems a little excessive. Can you bring it down any lower?

I know 65nm CPU's can take more than the new 45nm's, but 1.5 seems a little excessive. Can you bring it down any lower?

if i lowered it would it allow me to oc higher? temp arent really an issue for me right since it's winter season.

Temps isn't really the issue, it's putting that many volts into the processor. If you go too high you'll kill it no matter how cool it's running.

Back
Top Bottom