Getting this motherboard.

Well in that case go for a 2-way SLI. I would never buy any refurbished, open box, or recertified item.

isnt recertified and refurbished pretty much the same thing?

Arent you already spending over $300 on the mobo and graphics card?
i dont think its worth it, its better to sell your card and save up a bit more to get better performance.
Its only recommended to SLI/CF if people already have a board and card that supports it.
Other than that, its pretty much a waste of money.

Is it? I always thought refurbished were items that broke and then were sent back under the warranty while recertified were just DOA items. I must have been mistaken.

either way, both are somehow broken and fixed.

Doesn't Newegg test all the returned items before putting them back up?

And a TV is hardly going to be ultra high res.

I think I'd go with an X38 for that price even if I owned an 8800GT.

The 42inch screen will be max 1080p, which is 1920x1080 if I'm not mistaken.
You shouldn't need 3 way SLI to run at that resolution, and the TV should easily downscale to a 720p signal, and not look any worse, which is lower than most monitors these days on a PC, but should still look great on a big screen with a good enough convertor.

Personally, an SLI config in my opinion is a waste of time :(

If you can afford it, simply get an ATI 4870X2 which is basically an SLI set up, but without the need for 2 cards, or for cheaper an ATI 4870, which in my opinion is probably more worth it.

I'm going to start saving up for a GTX280. I'll keep my monitor connected for games. Should I switch over to a HDMI cable on my desktop? I'm using a VGA converter. Will I get a better picture quality with the HDMI?

You should in theory get a better picture, but would you really notice? Probably not.

Back
Top Bottom