Should I get core i7?

joe pic

Fully Optimized
My current pc cart off newegg includes a core 2 quad q9550. Since i7 came out, I was debating over switching it to i7. How much faster is the core i7 than the q9550? Also, I need to change motherboards. Which do you recommend?

Also, I'll need ddr3 ram, right? Which ram would be compatible?

Thanks, that's all I'll need to change, correct?

from what i read, the i7 gives about a 40% increase compared to the previous CPUs. But i guess you will only benefit that if you use things that uses that processor fully.

First, its way to expensive, wait 4-6 months, and when and if you do buy you need ram at 1.65v or less, it will be avdertised a tri channel. Also go with the p6t or msi eclipse. The cpu is up to you

The 920 is $320, about the same price as the Q9550. But the motherboard and tri-channel DDR3 RAM are going to jack up the price.
In games the performance difference is very small, but in multi-threaded apps, it's plain to see that it's faster than Core 2.
Motherboard.
You can get 3x1GB of DDR3 1333 for $120.

I'm not planning on overclocking my ram. Please, just let me know which is compatible.

I plan to use it for gaming. I want something that will last for a while and still upgradable. Thanks

Argh i envy the US prices so much, $320 for a 920, its £290 here! argh
anyway if its that cheap, go ahead

More on the i7 core.

@worshipme: Laziness can result into great things. That guide I wrote about the FSB bottleneck was only written because I was bored and because I was getting tired of explaining how the bottleneck worked. I think I created after the 4-5th time I had to explain it. :p

Back
Top Bottom