can't get on newegg

i know it wont find out what went wrong butr you could just open up the hosts file in the system 32 folder and stick newegg.com in there along with whatever the ip is that you wish it to connect to thats what i did with my router so my machine knows that if i type router.ctl into the address bar it loads up my routers ip

oh i forgot ,on windows xp hosts is stored in

windows/system32/etc hosts just open it with notepad

i know it wont find out what went wrong butr you could just open up the hosts file in the system 32 folder and stick newegg.com in there along with whatever the ip is that you wish it to connect to thats what i did with my router so my machine knows that if i type router.ctl into the address bar it loads up my routers ip

oh i forgot ,on windows xp hosts is stored in

windows/system32/etc hosts just open it with notepad

I was about to post that :)

... I'm not going to pretend this isn't weird. I just had to go over to my sisters to work on her comptuer quickly (she lives about a block and a half from where I live with my girlfriend) and i got onto newegg fine there. Come back here... nothing. I would love to say it's the router but my girlfriends laptop gets it just fine...

I don't see that hosts file either.

Some info on the error message itself, it's a "Connection to the server was reset while trying to connect" error.

Host file path is

Code:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Being that it's been ages since I've used host files and I don't have an XP box, I'll try my best to help in this grey area. The file you want to open is HOSTS. There is no file extension, that is normal. So open it up in a text editor and add the following entry in the format given:

Code:
216.52.208.185          www.newegg.com          # Newegg

My hosts file is a default and looks like the following:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1               localhost
::1                     localhost
[B]216.52.208.185          www.newegg.com          # Newegg[/B]

So your entry would go at the bottom with the other entries, such as localhost. Let me know if that helps.

run all your antispyware/antivirus software, then reset internet explorer (tools>internet options>advanced>reset)...close IE, then open it and try again from typing in the url in the address bar.

if we can get it to work in IE, then we could work on getting it to work in firefox too...i don't use FF, but i imagine there is a similar "reset" button in it?

i don't think i read that he tried to reset IE yet...he mentioned he was doing an antivirus scan in his first post which i had missed sorry...and he said he ran ccleaner, but maybe try some other antispywares too...windows defender, ad aware....i'm running out of suggestions...

I really doubt it's a setting of any kinda. Like I said a post or two before, I was able to connect at my sisters just fine

I had this same problem with my old isp. It was just that, the isp. There was no way around it for me. I have no idea why. I doubt you just suddenly changed isps though.

Back
Top Bottom