Won't boot after new hard drive

mikee

Fully Optimized
I just installed a 1.5tb drive into my computer as the second drive and it worked for about 3 days then the computer ramdomly started restarting once in a while. Now the computer won't detect my primary drive and won't boot up. IF I disconnect the new hard drive though everything works just fine.

Could be a bad drive. Try going to the drive manufacturer's site and download their drive fitness utility. If it's a SATA drive, try booting up without it connected. Then once in Windows, reconnect it (they are hot swappable). If the system doesn't hang, run the drive utility to test the drive for any errors.

I did disconnect the drive and it booted up fine. Restarted again with it plugged in and it started but I don't know how long it will stay going. It is a seagate drive so I checked their site and found some weird articles about random drive freezes with their 1.5tb drives and it says it isn't a bad drive just an issue with firmware.
I'm just really confused right now about this whole thing and don't know what to do now

sometimes after a random crash it will show a message like this

harddrivemessageyk3.jpg

By mikee286 at 2008-11-15

If you can find the resources to upgrade the firmware on the drive, go for it. Otherwise it may be wise to RMA the drive.

Yea, from what I can gather, it looks like they are working on a possible solution, but it may take a while. You could RMA the thing, or just return it to where you purchased it and get a different drive.

Back
Top Bottom