Sticking Computer

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi, this started happening over a month ago but my main pc
(p4 3.4ghz, 2gb ddr800, ASUS 8800gt 512mb) seems to stick. I'm using the pc normally (could be using it for anything) and then the mouse will start sticking and any sounds will become slurred into a horrible noise. The only way to stop it is to restart the computer. The CPU is not overclocked. Could it be the hard drives? How do I isolate the problem and fix it?

Possible reasons I thought were:
heat
software error
hard ware failure

So your computer is FREEZING???? Sounds like maybe might have a lot of clutter. Check your processes and see if there's anything out of the ordinary running. If you don't know what a process is, google it. If it's something not necessary, disable it. Then go through msconfig and take away everything that's listed except for windows utilities, antivirus/anti-spyware, and any required driver programs. Then defrag. Also check for viruses and malware.

I doubt it's heat because a reboot wouldn't help it. Software error is possible but let's check the aforementioned steps first. Hardware failure is unlikely because, again, a reboot wouldn't help the matter.

STICKING. I would of thought freezing meant it freezes and then you have to restart it to make it not freeze. that's arbitrary.

yeah i thought it wouldn't be heat for that reason.

I've checked the processes and nothing seems to be out of the the ordinary

I've been considering a defrag. dunno if i can be arsed to msconfig stuff just at the moment.

cheers tho :)

Right i stopped all non-microsoft processes and services at startup except for avg and i'm still getting the stiiiiiickkking. Ill try tis Auslogics Disk Defragmenter :\

Have you run any diagnostic programs on your memory or hard drives? Do you have the latest drivers for your motherboard, video, sound, etc?

no ill have to do some when i get the time... i'm a but tied under at the mo. pity this is a new pc, with new ram, mobo and expensive gfrx card!! sheez!

also, dispite me connecting the front audio panel it doens't work! and no microphones work in any of the ports. ill have to look into it before warrenty xpires :mad:

Right I've recorded a video of it

as you can see with the music is slurrrs it. When I started the random tumble on the CAD software you can see how it sticks. Everything is effected

I'm thinking more and more of hardware failurebecause that would naturally have a interupt of highest prioty on the CPU, however that normaly sends the pc into a BSOD.

Any ideas?

Try running a scandisk to check your HDD for errors, if that fails, check your video card is not cluttered and your Heatsinc is clean of dust, as for your audio s not working have a look in device manager under audio or sound devices and see if you have any yellow warning signs, if you have click on it and see what it says.

Back
Top Bottom