Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

AMDpwnz0r

In Runtime
Alright so, out of no where my computer would restart randomly, and it would give me the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" error. Usually i could just hit the reset button on my computer and it would boot up again fine, and i could continue on my marry way. Then one day it did it again, and wouldnt stop, i havent been able to use the computer since. Im on my alienware now and its annoying because it isnt as fast. So what could be causing this? I WAS running overclocked, cant remember by exactly how much, but i had my fsb up some. probably running at around 2.5ish, i did not touch the voltage settings because i dont know really how to use it and i didnt want to mess anything up, so i kept the system overclocked to what i thought was stable, could i have fried something on my mobo? Ive plugged in another HDD and its still the same prob. I flashed bios, reset to default, fail-safe, etc. still nothing. I honestly think i fried something, what could it be? please help . thanks

Rig specs in sig

Alright so, out of no where my computer would restart randomly, and it would give me the "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" error. Usually i could just hit the reset button on my computer and it would boot up again fine, and i could continue on my marry way. Then one day it did it again, and wouldnt stop, i havent been able to use the computer since. Im on my alienware now and its annoying because it isnt as fast. So what could be causing this? I WAS running overclocked, cant remember by exactly how much, but i had my fsb up some. probably running at around 2.5ish, i did not touch the voltage settings because i dont know really how to use it and i didnt want to mess anything up, so i kept the system overclocked to what i thought was stable, could i have fried something on my mobo? Ive plugged in another HDD and its still the same prob. I flashed bios, reset to default, fail-safe, etc. still nothing. I honestly think i fried something, what could it be? please help . thanks

Rig specs in sig

sounds like a HDD issue to me, how old is your hard drive...? the bolded part you typed won't work, XP isn't plug and play, it won't recognize the OS on the other HDD if it wasn't installed on your specific system or one with almost exactly the same hardware, Antdemo's solution should at least tell you if your HDD is to blame, if it has some bad sectors you may need to reformat and reinstall the OS, before you do that you can hook it up as a slave drive on another system to get any important documents or files off it...

try and run a harddrive chk.

If you don't know how then put your boot disk in, press a key when it asks, then let it load, press F3 for repair when it gives the option, now it should go threw to a dos screen, now log in as admin and leave pass blank and type both and press enter.

1st: chkdsk /r
chkdsk /p

I have not done it in along time so please if I'm wrong recorrect me thanks.

sounds like a HDD issue to me, how old is your hard drive...? the bolded part you typed won't work, XP isn't plug and play, it won't recognize the OS on the other HDD if it wasn't installed on your specific system or one with almost exactly the same hardware, Antdemo's solution should at least tell you if your HDD is to blame, if it has some bad sectors you may need to reformat and reinstall the OS, before you do that you can hook it up as a slave drive on another system to get any important documents or files off it...

Thanks all for the replies

The OS on the comp that wont run is Vista ultimate 64, OS on the alienware(HDD i switched to test) is XP home 32

Also the HDD isnt that old, its alot newer than the seagate on my alienware, the problem one is an 80gb WD

try and run a harddrive chk.

If you don't know how then put your boot disk in, press a key when it asks, then let it load, press F3 for repair when it gives the option, now it should go threw to a dos screen, now log in as admin and leave pass blank and type both and press enter.

1st: chkdsk /r
chkdsk /p

I have not done it in along time so please if I'm wrong recorrect me thanks.

So put in my Vista disk, and press F3?

I tried to do the chkdsk thing and it did not work, also i inserted my Vista CD to see if i could reformat it, and it could not find the drive. Also, i took out the harddrive from the comp im using now to try and reformat and put Vista on it, still could not find the harddrive. When i go to boot select list, i go to HDD and then it goes to another window that says 1. Bootable add-in card device or something, also in the bios when i go to hdd boot disc priority it says that too. Im not sure if i believe my hard drive is gone bad, shouldnt vista install pick up the other hdd to load the os on?

also when over clocking is it possible to damage anything that could cause this.

thanks for your help guys

Back
Top Bottom