Fragmentation in BIOS, Crashing, Graphic disturbances, Please help!!!

Rippy0870

Beta member
Hey guys, my name is Jake and I really need some help here.

I built a computer about a year and a half ago, after about 6 months, I began experiencing problems. I had these problems for about 3 months, they come and go, then I put the computer in storage. I just recently hooked it up and I am having the same problems. I am currently writing this in safe mode (works fine in safe mode).
Sometimes the computer works fine for a few days, other times I will need to restart it over 50 times to get it to work properly.

This is what happens.
1) I get fragmentation in bios, random graphic glitches, lines, blocks, black and white or in color. Words shuffle up, everything will be misspelled, letters flicker, then change to different letters.
(Like instead of saying "Start windows in safe mode", it will say something like "Sfats Win@$gs af Idal Odes", then itll flicker and the spelling will change back to normal.)
2) The fragmentation continues through bootup at times.
3) Everything will be runing fine and the monitor will say "No video input", screen will go black.
Then:
a) Nothing happens, I have to restart the computer.
b) The screen flickers in and out of a picture to black screen.
c) Everything returns back to normal.
4) Sound will cut in and out, screen will flicker.

What I have already done.
1) Installed newest Motherboard drivers.
2) Installed newest video card drivers.
3) Taken the computer apart completely and reassembled it.
4) Run anti-virus and anti-spiware programs.
5) Reset my bios.

One of my friends is a computer technician, but he lives far away (so he hasn't seen it). He told me to flash my bios, and that that should fix the problems. Please let me know what you think I should do! I really need to get this machine working.

Thank you,
Jake S.

Intel core 2 duo 6600
Nvidia nforce 680i SLI mobo
NVIDIA GFORCE 7600 GS
320g SATA150 Hard Drive
2 Gigs of RAM
Windows XP Professional
Don't remember what my PSU is, but I think its around 700W

Current mobo temp is 65*C
ACPI Bios

Your friend is on the right track. Flash with the latest BIOS ... or if your motherboard already has the latest BIOS version ... re-flash it with the same BIOS.
Here's where you can get hardware support for Nvidia boards. I'm assuming the board is the one listed in your signature.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/designed_by_nvidia_680i_sli_support.html

If I'm a little off on the exact model (or you were) then look at this link and drill down to your specific model:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/designed_by_nvidia_support.html

So I really do need to flash it huh,

To be honest, I can't remember exactly which Mobo I have, that's what I remember from when I built it. When I run the automatic motherboard finder program from NVidia, it tells me "nForce 680i SLI / 680i LT SLI". When I run a system diagnostics scan, it tells me "EVGA nVidia 68X MCP". I'll open my case tomorrow and find out exactly what it is, I won't touch it before then, I can't find a screwdriver to open it up now.

I also need to use a floppy disk to do the bios flash right? I kept getting Floppy disk(s) Failure (40) message, and I had to shut off my floppy in the boot menu, I don't know if my floppy is working or not, I'll look into that tomorrow too.

Thanks,
Jake

Not sure about your particular model of motherboard and how the manufacturer chooses to allow you to flash BIOS, but flashing via floppy is one way. But a lot of manufacturers now are providing a Windows gui to flash your BIOS ... meaning you download the Flash BIOS exe and it runs from Windows as if you were running any other software installation. Since you are able to boot into safe mode, you might be fortunate enough to find a Windows BIOS Flash exe from your motherboard manufacturer and flash it that way.

About your Floppy errors you may need to double check that it's connected correctly. Also check that the BIOS settings match the physical device, & if the floppy is on a cable with connectors for more than one device, it must be on the last connector. I'm talking about the typically gray ribbon cable.

I am actually on the computer right now in normal mode (non safe-mode). Once in a while it works perfectly, but then I'll start getting the errors later on. Do you know if nVidia has that program for direct flashing? And should I back up all of my files before I try to do this?

Thanks,
Jake

Back
Top Bottom