nv4_disp Error - World of Warcraft

yak1

Beta member
Hey guys.

I have been encountering a problem that causes my game (World of Warcraft) to freeze about every minute or so. Now, when it freezes, my cursor is immobile, and my sound plays the same sound over and over again (skips). This is a not-so-rare problem that happens to many people that play the game ever since the download of a recent patch.

Almost everyone who is dealing with this problem has these things in common:

-It began occurring after the download of a very recent patch.
-Having a nVidia video card, usually a 7000, 8000, or 9000 series

My specs:
nVidia GeForce 7600 Graphics Card
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Processor
1 Gig of Ram

If you need any more information about my computer, please feel free to ask for them.

This period of being frozen usually lasts about 15 seconds - 1 minute.

Here's where it gets kind of tricky (in my opinion).

There are usually different results after these freezings.

1) My game returns to usual, however, the game freezes about 1 minute later. **This occurs most often**

2) My game completely crashes, giving me an error #132, which I believe is specifically a WoW error (pertains to graphics).

3) I get an "nv4_disp.dll" error stating that my nv4_disp is not working correctly. **This CRASH occurs most often**

4) My computer completely shuts down by itself. I'm assuming it does this to protect the computer itself.

I have tried numerous solutions over the past week or so, including:

-Updating my drivers in safe mode
-Using a Driver Cleaner in safe mode
-Uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them in safe mode
-Opening the side of my case and blowing a fan into it
-Playing the game in windowed and -OpenGL mode (this was suggested by a Blizzard Employee on the WorldofWarcraft.com forums).
-Using a Benchmark utility
-Using MemTest to check my RAM (extensive overnight scan).
-Getting a DxDiag report

If you would like a copy of my DxDiag or the error message that the World of Warcraft gives me, I will be glad to provide it.

So, I am asking desperately, is there any other possible solution?

Should I consider purchasing a new ATI video card in hopes of alleviating the issue?

Have you tried using an older driver version?

Could you refer me to a website where I could download an older driver version?

I'm not sure how to download an older driver from nVidia.com because it only offers the newest driver available.

Thanks.

I had your exact problem about 3 months ago when I reloaded a computer of mine. I believe I solved it simply by loading the new drivers from nvidia. I would start here and select the model you are using, download and install. If i figure out exactly what I did I'll let you know.

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

I have tried this numerous times and the problem still persists.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Back
Top Bottom