Help Me! (Again)

AmagicalFishy

Baseband Member
Hello, once more.

Guys, I got my new PSU all hooked and ready. Everything was hooked up properly and the like, but, when I turn on my computer, I get nothing.

The green light comes on, signifying it's on - and I can hold the button down 'til it shuts off, so, I'm assuming there's some power, but that's all.

It is. - The only thing that is different from my old PSU is the fact that I used the 24-pin adapter with the 20-pin plug (my MB had four extra pins w/ my old PSU).

So basically the computer turns on but nothing happens with the screen? Make sure you didn't knock anything out of place during the install.

Everything's in okay. I was very, very careful not to displace anything. - Also, the computer doesn't seem to be on. None of the fans spin or anything, but the green light comes on (hopefully) signifying it's receiving power.

Don't tell me the PSU is DOA. :( Make that a last resort!

The PSU is dead, isn't it? I'm reading that the green light doesn't necessarily mean the PSU works.

Yup... It's the PSU

I plugged in my old PSU into the MB (just the MB) - and the fans turned on and everything.

Do you still have your old one? If you do, unplug the new one and try the old one. You could also try a CMOS reset, they can fix some weird problems. But even then the computer should turn on first. Make sure you have the power button plugged in. Usually polarity doesn't matter, but it's worth a shot.

(What's a CMOS reset? It's my last hope.)

Also, there's a little, black shielded wire hanging loose from the PSU. It looks like it has a green capacitor on the end.
ceramic-capacitor-10nF-green-with-red-tip-DHD.jpg

It obviously doesn't plug into anything. Is it like one of those "Pull Before Use" tabs on little gadgets? <.<

There should be a CMOS jumper on your motherboard that looks like this:

cmosclr500.jpg

Take that jumper and move it over one slot and leave it like that for around thirty seconds. You may have to remove the battery too.

Do I put it back where it was before turning the computer on?

(The battery's out and the jumper-thing is switched)

Back
Top Bottom