So this is what happened

Like I said earlier muz, the higher you fly, the harder you fall.

Using a small array of hard drives is usually always safer than using one large drive.

or 2 1tb drives i would go for the 2 1tb drives there is no evidence to suggest that 1tb drives have a higher failure rate than any other sise of drive

...but what happens if the drive fails? You'll end up loosing more data in the long run. Using smaller hard drives helps soften that blow, should it ever happen. Plus, there's a greater sense of redundancy with an array of smaller hard drives.

I think if your smart you'd not buy 1TB.

Your best bet is to get 1 500gb harddrive and 1 removable backup harddrive for backup

This is how mine is, with the amount of songs I have I need backup, I have split my 160gb harddrive down to 15gb and the rest 145gb, now I have 2x vista on a dual boot, so if the one with my tunes messes up I have backup to get access to them, also I bought a 250gb removable storage just incase, also I bought blank dvd's to burn my backups to, so I think I'm safe wooh lol

Like I said earlier muz, the higher you fly, the harder you fall.

Using a small array of hard drives is usually always safer than using one large drive.

...but what happens if the drive fails? You'll end up loosing more data in the long run. Using smaller hard drives helps soften that blow, should it ever happen. Plus, there's a greater sense of redundancy with an array of smaller hard drives.

if you mirror it which is what i am suggesting then you wont actually loose anything unless you need me to explain the simple principle of mirroring

anyway your taking this out of context im not saying in every situation bigger drives are better but if in this situation the budget permits and the user has that much data to store then i think that 2 1tb drives mirrored is fine if the op here dosent need that much data storage then maybe 500gb drives will do

and besides i think anyone who is serious about not loosing any data should run a mirrored array simple as it dosent matter if you have 5 drives or 1big drive when one fails you still loose data and any data loss however small is never good

plus buying 2 bigger drives and mirroring them is much cheaper than buying 4 smaller ones and mirroring and still gets you to exactly the same place with exactly the same ammount of data security

Processor: Q9550. $320

RAM:G.Skill 4GB DDR3 HZ PC2-12800C7 1600MHz (2x2GB) - $250 or about that.

Motherboard:Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 - $350- Gives you options for 3 way SLI which would be good for future upgrades. One of the best overclockers too.

Graphic Card Configuration: (SLi or CF would be nice)... go for the GTX 260 (Core 216 version). Each one is about $300.

PSU: Enermax Galaxy 1000W. -$350 Overkill unless you're going SLI... but with a tripple SLI capable board you'd want to be able to add cards in the future without replacing the PSU.

HDD/HDDs: 1TB spin point. $114. Very good drive…very quiet like all the spin points.

Case: (Must be a full tower case) - As long as you get good air flow and the case is not ugly as sin then the case should (imo) be an area for saving on. Spend $60 on a case like the AKASA ZEN. I own two a white one and a black one, and they both look very very good. They come with silent large fans (front and rear) and are easy to mod to attach a large fan on the side for the GPUs. It's about what's under the bonnet remember! If you insist on an up market case go for the nine hundred antec. Its tried and trusted.

Running SLI'd pair of GTX260 with the cheaper case your price will be: $2044

Prices taken from newegg.

Other potential improvements;

Get two smaller drives and run the OS in RAID 0. Cheap to do and will make a difference. I don't see the point in spending $$$ on raptors… but some do so it's up to you.

that MB won't run SLI GTX260s and there are plenty of other expensive boards from more reliable brands that I would try first, there are probably some $200 boards out there that would be better choices, I also wouldn't go with DDR3 and a core2quad/duo, I'd just stick with the DDR2 to pair with a core2quad/duo until I upgraded to a Nehalem...

0101000 vs Muz

lol I laugh

both have to get back at each other with correct answers, well, your both right so quit it lol

Back
Top Bottom