Creating a basic server-based network.

Novice2000

Baseband Member
I would like to create a basic server-based network at home to mess around with. Say I have 2 computers and also have Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional to create this network. My questions are as follows:

1. What do you do on the server's end so the server can see the client/workstation computer's?

2. What do you do on the client/workstation computers so they can be seen by the server?

Extra Question: Also, can I use other OSs besides 2000 Pro for clients?

I would like to create a basic server-based network at home to mess around with. Say I have 2 computers and also have Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional to create this network. My questions are as follows:

1. What do you do on the server's end so the server can see the client/workstation computer's?

2. What do you do on the client/workstation computers so they can be seen by the server?

Extra Question: Also, can I use other OSs besides 2000 Pro for clients?

1. Pretty much automatic ... works best if they are in the same workgroup.

2. See #1

3. Any OS will work.

1. Pretty much automatic ... works best if they are in the same workgroup.

2. See #1

3. Any OS will work.

Ok, so if I install 2000 Server on one computer and 2000 Pro on the other and I connect both of them to the same hub or router, they will automatically see each other if I click on "My Network Places" on either computer?

So then what is the active directory, domain, etc for? I thought you had to do something in these to set up the network and something as well on the client computers. I'll install the OSs and physically connect them together. If they don't see each other, I'll be back to ask more questions. So don't go away.

So then what is the active directory, domain, etc for? I thought you had to do something in these to set up the network and something as well on the client computers. I'll install the OSs and physically connect them together. If they don't see each other, I'll be back to ask more questions. So don't go away.

Active directory is optional and usually used for larger networks. It allows central administration of users, computers, and data. But as far as a plain old network with a server, nothing is required.

I installed a standalone server 2003 for a demo workgroup. This server has the role of a DHCP server as well. It will lease IP addresses to 20 IP phones. This server can't have anything to do with my company network. Do I use my company's DNS server as the preferred & alternate DNS server? by activating the DHCP server on this server will it conflict with the existing DHCP server used by the company?

I installed a standalone server 2003 for a demo workgroup. This server has the role of a DHCP server as well. It will lease IP addresses to 20 IP phones. This server can't have anything to do with my company network. Do I use my company's DNS server as the preferred & alternate DNS server? by activating the DHCP server on this server will it conflict with the existing DHCP server used by the company?

Instead of having two DHCP servers, it may be a better idea to use one, but for the IP phones, use a second scope. As far as DNS servers, use the company DNS server as the preferred and don't do anything about an alternative unless you have a second DNS server.

But as far as a plain old network with a server, nothing is required.

Ok, I installed the OSs (2000 Server on one and 2000 Professional on the other), and physically connected both computers together with a Intellinet 5 port 10/100 soho switch. I went into "My Network Places" on both computers and neither computer can see the other. In "My Network Places" I have 3 icons. They are "Add Network Place", "Entire Network", and "Computers Near Me".

In "Entire Network" and "Computers Near Me", there is nothing when I open them. I even created a shared folder on the desktop of each computer and even those are not detected by the other computer. The lights for each computer are lit on the switch, so the switch must obviously be detecting the computers. Why can't they see each other?

Also, on the 2000 Server computer I have a window that popped up called "Windows 2000 Configure Your Server".

Back
Top Bottom