why am i getting 4 bit colours

solitary1

Baseband Member
So after building a computer for the first time ever today, i have run into a problem why am i only getting 4 bit colours. Here is the situation after i install xp SP1, my colours are fine. But once i install my nivida video drivers my colours go to 4bit. when i upgrade to xp sp2, my colours go back to normal, again i install my video drivers and back to 4 bit it goes. How do i fix this? Thanks

originally the one from the cd, i just downloaded the updated one of the BFG website, but im sitll getting the same problem

windows configures defaults when service packs are installed, over riding those with drivers means it sets video to minimal defaults. try going into settings and changing settings to monitors spec.

so i called BFG, and it turns out the way i powered my video card was incorrec. The colours went to 4 bit because after installing the driver, i guess the driver was demanding more from the video card, and since i incorrectly plugged it in there wasnt enough juice to meet the demands of the driver. If that makes sense? anyway its working now. Considering this being my first build, i m quite impressed. Thanks for the responses.

That makes a lot of sense actually. The card sensed there wasn't enough power provided and basically went into limp mode.

Back
Top Bottom