965p mobo. Max RAM speed? What's pushing it?

Max25591

Baseband Member
Hi,

Well... I bought a Ga-965p-Ds4 a while back and I'm still gaming on it and it's doing a fine job. It states in specs it can run 800Mhz RAM.

Now running CPU at 3.4Ghz with 2.0 ratio with RAM.

So 378 x 9 for CPU and
378 x 2.0 for RAM is 756Mhz.

My ram is 800Mhz Geil so actually it's running under speed right now.

But if I change the setting in the Bios to 2.5 then it would be asking the RAM to run at 945Mhz... which I don't think it could handle.

Basically... I'd like to know if I bought some 1066Mhz RAM if I could run that on this board at 945Mhz.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've never OC'ed the memory, but correct me if I'm wrong: You can set your motherboard to run the memory at 5:2 ratio, but that doesn't necessarily mean your memory will run at the maximum speed allowed. I think you will still run it at 800MHz; the only thing is that you won't be taking full advantage of that 945MHz headroom.

Err... not sure/

The Mobo specifications say that the max memory speed is 800Mhz.

I know that people overclock their 800Mhz RAM to 900+Mhz.

I just wanted to know if the Motherboard would actually allow me to run 945Mhz on the RAM.

If it is the case that my board (which was back in the day well know for being a great overclocker) would handle 945Mhz easily... and if so what would be the upper limit that I could expect?

I've tried pushing the CPU a bit further... but nope it's stuck at 3.4Ghz. (e6600 - so it's about what i expected).

On these Gigabyte boards a 1:1 ratio is called 2.0 in the Bios. So that's what I'm running now, on a 9x multi.

When you say the upper limit is 945... I know that's true... but does this mean that the board can handle that speed on the RAM?

Was the board certified with 800MHZ because at the time that was the fastest available?

If a board has a rating like this... does that usually mean that's the boards limit. (Unless you have a good overclocking board).

Well you could try to OC it and see what you get. If not then you will just have to raise it to 2.5 in the BIOS and run the memory at 800MHz. I assume that the board would allow you to handle speeds higher than 800MHz if it has settings for 2.5.

Well... thats a sticky point because without overclocking the CPU would run at 2.4Ghz.

Thats why the options exist for various ratios.

So - if you run stock with 2.4 Ghz (266x9) CPU. then you will have to run ratio 3:1 for the RAM.
266 x 3 =798 (800Mhz).

So the options are there so that you can get the RAM up to its desired speed if not overclocking.

Thus I was left wandering what the upper limit was for the actual RAM speed. . . and if it was more based on the RAM than the Board, or if the Board was just as important.

Thanks for your help so far though,.,... helps to kick these ideas around.

On my board?

You mean it will say it on my board? Or in the manual or something like that?

because that's just my point... the manual says supports 553,667 and 800Mhz RAM...

So I want to find out what the upper limit would be for overclocking effectively.

Anyone out there with experience with the 965p chipset o/c?

I mean that your motherboard will be the bottleneck on the OC. And it doesn't really matter how far others with the same chipset push it. OCs tend to vary by unit. Just OC it slowly and see how far you make it. In any case you can clear the CMOS.

Back
Top Bottom