Far Cry 2 problems

simpsoah

Beta member
Hey everyone, first of all, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section...feel free to move it.

Second, I just installed Far Cry 2 last night, and I checked before hand if I met the system requirements, and I did, but still, anytime anything physics based happens, my FPS drops from around 60-90 down to 1-5 (or it quits)

When I start the game, it tells me that my video drivers are too old (the only reason I havent updated them is because my home internet is down, but I did get them and I will try that when I get home). But is that what could be causing such a huge wreck on the game...I figured, since even on low, everything was being slow, it had to be my harddrive...it is a relatively old 160GB SATA drive...could not tell you the RPM right now...but here are the rest of my specs if it helps.

2.4GHz Triple-Core AMD Processor (Over-clocked to 2.8)
Sapphire ATI 3850 HD 1GB DDR2 Video Card
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Mobo

I can get more if more is needed...I am looking through files trying to find my Everest Computer Report

Any help is appreciated...thanks

Turn down effects in the options, get the beta drivers, and what do you have the settings in the game at?

Well, that is the strange part, on Optimal...everything runs fine until I hit something physics based...but even with everything on low (even fire and all of that) it still drops the fps to near 0

Edit:
I did the Performance check, and no matter what my settings were, it ran at around 60-90 fps, until the fourth (i think) explosion, then it dropped to .5, but as the camera went over the building, the test immediately shut down (even with a good fps) and it said no results could be displayed.

Oh and I have 4GB G-Skill Dual Channel RAM, so that is no problem

Another thing I forgot...I watched my temperatures to see if that was it

at most, my CPU was at 41C and my video card was 50C...not hot enough to cause that much of a problem

AMD released new drivers especially for FC2, you should definitely download them, and make sure you uninstall the old drivers first.

Newest is Catalyst 8.10.

Oh...so if they released new drivers made for FC2...then it would make a big impact I guess....well that is a load off, I cannot wait to go home and see if I can get some good results

I was freaking out, I had just bought this brand new video card and it was already rendered useless lol...thank you both for your input!

-----------------------------------------------------

Well...I went home and tried it last night with only little success....the game runs smoother, but still lags A LOT during combat, or when a car gets hit, or during an explosion....I have come to a new conclusion that it is due to my audio drivers, I am told everytime I start up that it needs the drivers, but when I go into Device Manager, it had one listed as being there and one (the same device) being there but with the error (!) beside it. I looked this morning , and it is no longer there...but maybe if I were to sweep all audio drivers and try a brand new one, should it work? Does my conclusion have any logic to it at all?

Back
Top Bottom