New VC

hitmanwa

Baseband Member
Was looking to put a new VC in my son's computer. It has an older Asus K8N so no PCI-E. I was thinking about buying the SAPPHIRE 100228L Radeon HD 3850 512MB but wondered what other's thoughts were.

Is it worth the $125? Is there something better out there?

He wants to be able to play Red Alert 3 I think but the board is older so...*shrugs*

It's an AMD Athlon 64 3000+
3gb Ram
Currently has an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 :/

Thanks in advance,

that card would handle that game forsure.
Maybe you'd suggest upgrading the motherboard as well, it'll open your options on VGA's now and for future upgrades.

Thanks for the quick reply. I used to have an ATI 9800 Pro in that system but 1 day, about a year ago, the cooling fan went flying across the living room. I had a few of those old 5500s in the garage so i just threw one in and never did anything else about it.

Yes, I want to upgrade his MoBo but wife wants me to wait until after the first of the year. I think I may just build a completely new system and give this one to one of the younger boys. I've not really done much in the way of working on any of the comps in some time. Only recently read up on the new Crossfire and SLI technologies. Very impressive stuff. I have a lot of reading to do that's for sure.

well if you are considering on building a totally new pc. then give us a budget...and guys on here will gladly build you a computer.

Will do, I'll probably start in January and will be looking at around $1,500. I'd like a nice high end machine capable of most of the newer games. Something I don't have to struggle with a year from now. I will def. post when the time comes. Thanks so much. Ordering the VC from newegg this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom