Internal card reader

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of upgrading my Dell 8300, but I just realised that my motherboard is lacking the socket to add an internal card reader, a socket which accepts something like this http://images.drobe.co.uk/extra/usbmedia/connector.jpg. What can I do? Is it possible to buy a PCI card with a few of those sockets on it? Is there something to convert it to IDE? thanks.

If you don't have a connector on your mobo, the best way is to just get an external USB one.

If that's an internal USB plug, most motherboards do have at least one or two USB headers on them. What motherboard do you have?

Thats strange that a motherboard doesn't have an internal usb header. Must be pretty old. Or it could be the fact that it's made by Foxconn......I can't believe dell would use a foxconn motherboard.

Yeah that's what I thought, I guess the reasoning behind it is that as Dell use customised boards and as this PC was never offerered with a card reader, why would they offer the socket for one.

It's not just for a card reader, it's for the slot mounted usb ports as well. I have just about never seen a motherboard without one.

Back
Top Bottom