What forum software would you use?

Check PunBB.

What about yabb forum as a free choice? www.yabbforum.com

Both of these forums I like, but I will have to see if I can get the software to host them.

In all my experience with SMF/and PhBB (Only used a few times),I Like SMF better.

I like SMF ... I used to have a support forums for my webhosting service that was SMF and I was pleased with it. I'm taking this one into serious consideration as well.

I'd like to add that my choice of MyBB was made because I don't have ANY experience with phpBB and when I was looking at both of them phpBB looked harder to use, so I went with MyBB and really liked it. I've never done more with phpBB than be a registered user on a forum that ran (runs?) it.

I'd like to add that my choice of MyBB was made because I don't have ANY experience with phpBB and when I was looking at both of them phpBB looked harder to use, so I went with MyBB and really liked it. I've never done more with phpBB than be a registered user on a forum that ran (runs?) it.

I took a demo of MyBB a few days ago and kinda played around with it. I kinda found it more user friendly than phpBB. Now the main reason I like phpBB is because it has a lot of customization potential. Modifications and styles are readily available. To my knowledge I know MyBB has modification/plugin capabilities but I don't know to what extent.

I've seen a lot of stuff available for MyBB. I haven't really gone into depth with the customization, but I think its very similar to vBulletin. A lot of the modifications and whatnot can be downloaded from their site.

When CV started out it was on phpBB. Buzz did some neat tricks with it and it served it's purpose. But as we got a little bigger we switched off to VB. It's out of the box, ready to rock made it appealing. But if you're going to have a license issue then all that's a mute point.
Am I understanding you're going to host this off your own computer? If this is the case I would check with your ISP to see if that violates the terms of service. I have a commercial account with my ISP and get away with murder...

When CV started out it was on phpBB. Buzz did some neat tricks with it and it served it's purpose. But as we got a little bigger we switched off to VB. It's out of the box, ready to rock made it appealing. But if you're going to have a license issue then all that's a mute point.
Am I understanding you're going to host this off your own computer? If this is the case I would check with your ISP to see if that violates the terms of service. I have a commercial account with my ISP and get away with murder...

i actually have a hosting account that allows for this. I saw some scripts that required dedicated IPs which I couldn't afford, but the phpBB script I am implementing seems to be doing the job. I am actually incorporating phpNuke into the site as the front page. If I do decide to add more technologies to my offerings for forums, I would mostlikely convert the site to a multi-forum offering versus something specifically designated for phpBB. I would probably only lose the value of the domain name, but that's like $10.

Back
Top Bottom