water cooling questions

newbie1323

Baseband Member
HI, a couple of quick questions:

1. why do some water cooling kits come with resevoirs and others dont, are they neccecery or an optional extra?

2. how are gpu water blocks fitted

3. is there any way to tell whether a water cooling system will be able to incomparate extra blocks in the loop

4. on a good water cooling setup how high can a q6600 be pushed?

reservoirs are needed. You can tell what GPU block fits which GPU by lookin at the website on the block. It depends on how powerful of a pump you have. if you have a block for everything (N block, S block, CPU, GPU, HD and maybe even SLI blocks and CF) then a second pump in the loop will help alot. the Q6600 can go really high if you have good temps. you just dont want to give it too many volts or its just slowing killing ur c2q. If your going with water cooling i would suggest going here www.bit-tech.net and posting in their forums because they know much more about water cooling then us :) good luck :)

HI, a couple of quick questions:

1. why do some water cooling kits come with resevoirs and others dont, are they neccecery or an optional extra?

2. how are gpu water blocks fitted

3. is there any way to tell whether a water cooling system will be able to incomparate extra blocks in the loop

4. on a good water cooling setup how high can a q6600 be pushed?

1. reservoirs do just that, they keep air out of the system. thats where any air bubble will end up after they system has been ran for a while

2. i believe that they are just mounted with screws like any other cooler

3. that depends on the flow of the coolant (too many options to choose from)
if you use a 13 mm tube and you split it down to 2 6 mm tubes you will have good cooling power
personally i dont like the idea of making a 'chain'
in other words the hot coolant from the cpu goes to the gpu then to the radiator
i would rather have each get its own hot and cool flow to and from a cooler
so for me if i was to go to liquid cooling
and i was to liquid cool the gpu, cpu, north and south bridge
it would be really expensive
i would have 2 radiators
each radiator would cool 2 of the 4 on my list
so each radiator would be 13 mm nozels
for 13mm tubing
then they would get split into 2 6mm tubes
each tube would then run to the cooling blocks
and then they would get merged back into a 13 mm tube
and here is where it becomes unified
i would have the cool liquid go to the blocks from radiator A
then the hot liquid would go to radiator B
the cool liquid would go to the other 2 cooling block as 6mm tubes from the 13mm radiator
and then the hot liquid from the merged 6mm tubes would go back to radiator A
and the loop would begin again
but to make all of that work
you need
A) alot of time
B) alot of money
C) and a pump
i might be able to do a diagram
and a parts list from www.koolance.com
if your interested

4. dont know
ill leave that to the gurus :cool:

4. It depends on your setup. Some hardware overclock better than others.

A traditional reservoir isn't needed either. You can get a T-fitting and just have a hose going to the top of the case. They take forever to get rid of bubbles though.

Thanks guys, very usefull, found some RAM water blocks, £12 each, those will look good on some overclocked ram!

Back
Top Bottom