New Budget Computer Configuration

As long as you terminate the windows installation on the Dell, you can transfer your license. And downloading an ISO for Windows isn't pirating because you would use the license granted to you by Microsoft (the one that came with the Dell).

No, they told me this cannot be done.

I'll just get a new OS. It's fine, so, this is my final list:

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

HIS Hightech H467QS512P Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

Extras:

Windows XP Home Edition OEM CD
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound [Can somebody tell me what this is used for?]
120mm Blue Led Case Fan

Will all of this be compatible with each other? Please look very carefully, I have and I think it'll all work but PLEASE make sure I'm right... I can't afford to be sending things back. Thank you so much!

Arctic Silver 5 is a thermal interface material. You put it on your CPU so heat has an easier time making it's way to the heatsink.

Arctic Silver 5 is a thermal interface material. You put it on your CPU so heat has an easier time making it's way to the heatsink.

So I definitely need it? How do I put it on?

Does my set up look okay? Please look carefully, thank you SO much!

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound [Can somebody tell me what this is used for?]
It is used to fill the miniscule gaps between the CPU IHS (internal heat spreaded) and the cooler's base, to improve heat transfer.

I NEVER use AS5, there are better performing TIMs available which are non-conductive, easier to clean and get you better temps. I'd recommend something like AC MX-2 or OCZ Freeze.
So I definitely need it? How do I put it on?
The E8400's stock cooler has pre-applied thermal paste, so all you need to do is clean the CPU's IHS with some isopropyl alcohol and you won't need anything extra. It's best to have some TIM spare just in case you need to reseat the cooler.

I've changed my Power Supply to a 550 Watt version, simply because this one has better ratings, more power, and it glows. I was able to use a -$25 promo code which really shaved down the price so the grand total w/ shipping and Vista Home Premium would be only $630, with the other PSU it was $650 and for a more powerful 630 watt it woulda been about $670. It still has hundreds of 5 and 4 star ratings, with only a few 1-3's. Your opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017

And I changed my motherboard to this... The gigabyte one had some pretty scary 1-star ratings, this one has several 1 star ratings about video input, however, the vast majority [hundreds] of reviews show that it is great. I got a good combo-deal with my E8400 processor, so, it actually turns out even though this Mobo is more expensive than the gigabyte one, since it has a combo deal I actually SAVED $10 or so, which is awesome.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

Also, I saved $25 on the PSU, I could re-direct the $25 promo code to get an Extended 1-year warranty on my motherboard, is this a good idea? Or would insuring my power supply probably be a better idea?

Still need info. on how to wipe my C:/ Drive...

Bump!

Back
Top Bottom