New Budget Computer Configuration

NeciFiX

In Runtime
Here's My "Build", I couldn't figure out how to make the wish-list public, so, I just took a screenshot of it, I'm too tired to figure it out and too Newegg-retarded to figure it out: http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7616/compstufflistaf5.jpg ... Basically if you need to look something up, you'll have to copy down the item number... sorry. I shouldn't make people helping me hard, lol.

Hi, basically I set up a public wish list on Newegg so you guys can look at what I've found... basically I skimmed through each section and picked out what I thought would be good for me. My current HD on my Dell Dimension 4600i, a 150 GB HD, I can just take out and put in my new computer to save myself some hassle, I'll also take out the other 250 GB HD already in my computer and put it in my new computer, for now. I could just uninstall Windows XP from this HD and put it on the other one, but, that'd be too much hassle for me. I figured the E8400 Dual Core CPU would be nice for me. I want to multi-task big time, but, also occasionally play some mid-range games, like Diablo III or TES: 4, and maybe some others.

That's why I picked the GPU I did, a mid-range GPU... nothing too fancy. Might upgrade later on. Not gonna be a huge gamer so I doubt I need dual-GPU's and so I only have one PCI Express 2.0 slot on my Mobo... tell me if that Mobo is any good. I have a Sound Card and Disk Drives [I have this sexy new SATA disc drive I can't use on my current computer since it only has 2 SATA slots, my new comp would have 6!]

The case, well, I want it to look super-cool, lmao, and it seems to be a pretty decent case. I can only have a budget of about $600, so, if I can get anything just-as-good-but-cheaper case wise, please tell me.

Is a 600W PSU good enough? I think I picked out a good one, I just don't know if 600W is enough. I'm also not good with PSU stats, such as all the 12V rails, personally, I'm too lazy to understand, so, can somebody good with that tell me if it is sufficient?

I have a feeling I could get a cheaper, yet better motherboard. Or a same-price motherboard but better. If anyone could help me out mobo-wise, please do!

I really hate my current computer configuration. I have slopped up both my HD's and would hate to transfer all the random crap I have on both my HD's to my new computer. Is it possible to wipe my entire C:/ Drive and start new on Windows? My D:/ Drive has plenty of room and I've already backed most things up on my D:/ Drive. I want to revert my C:/ drive to the way it was when I got it. I do not have any system restore discs or anything, and my OEM Windows XP CD won't let me. Any tips? This is a big one for me.

The RAM I picked out seems to be pretty low-key. I got 4x 1 GB sticks. I realize since I'm using 32 Bit Windows XP Home, it'll probably only register 3.5 GB or so, which is okay, it seems to be very fast memory and has a good $50 mail in rebate.

Do I want to get any extra case fans? I want it to be semi-quiet, but, my room is usually freezing since I have my window open and my fan on in the middle of winter up here in Wisconsin, but, still.

I think I got everything. Remember, I already have my CD Drives, Sound Card and Disk Drives, so, I'm okay there. Does this PC look okay? Any modifications you'd make? Is my PSU strong enough to take it all? Needs to have a $600.00 Price tag. W/ Shipping mine hits about $612.00 as-is, which is fine. Mail In Rebates total to $95.00.

Thanks for the help! I really need it & appreciate it! :)

You won't get a cheaper and better board, but you can get a cheaper board that will still do everything that you want it to. P43 DS3L

And Roswill is Newegg's own brand, sometimes they can be of alright quality, but most of the time it's not great. And for a PSU, getting something reliable is extremely important. 600W is actually way more than enough. You can get a 500W OCZ unit for cheaper, it will be better quality and I recommend going with that.

Also, go with 2x2GB of RAM over 4x1GB sticks, it'll be cheaper, leave you two DIMMs for upgrade, and put less strain on the north bridge.
2x2GB DDR2 800

Hi, thanks for the help. Thanks to you I shaved off some $$, so, I have most of my parts with still $50.00 or so to spend, which is great! Are you sure a 500W PSU is ample?

I'm still on the edge of my case, it's a perfect price and looks perfect, but, will it be too small or something?

How do I wipe my C:/ Drive? Need help on this one. After I wipe it, should I install all the drivers for my new computer on the C:/ Drive so when it loads up, everything is already installed?

So I got this:

Case
RAM
Motherboard
Video Card
Sound Card
Hard Drives
Disk/DVD Drives
Power Supply
Processor

I do not have any "thermal paste", or anything to glue any of this down with. Do these parts have something to glue them down with? Should I add any more case fans? I have some extra $$ so I would like to add some case fans or something to make sure nothing overheats.

Thank you!

NeciFiX

I reccomed this case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

get some thermal paste because you can never be too careful

add 2 more 120mm fans of your choice and your set

You dont have Windows up there, are you gonna run Linux?

I plan to take both of my current HDD's out and put them in my new computer. My main HDD has Windows XP Home SP3 on it, would this work? Though, I want to clear the entire hard drive to factory settings, so it's basically just Windows and no programs installed. I need help on this.

Oh, and, I think I'll stick with my current case. I like the side-panel window, and according to the reviews it still gets good airflow. I'll get a 3rd 120 MM fan just because you can put a 3rd one in, just to be safe. I'll make sure to get some thermal paste.

I plan to take both of my current HDD's out and put them in my new computer. My main HDD has Windows XP Home SP3 on it, would this work? Though, I want to clear the entire hard drive to factory settings, so it's basically just Windows and no programs installed. I need help on this.
You'll just need a Windows XP installation CD (if you've lost this, but still have the license key, you can just download an XP .ISO and burn it)
You'll need to reactivate once you've reinstalled so make sure you have your licence key.

All you need to do is put the XP disc in your drive, set disk drive as primary boot device in BIOS, reboot and you will be prompted to press any key to boot from disc, it's straight forward from there on.

You'll just need a Windows XP installation CD (if you've lost this, but still have the license key, you can just download an XP .ISO and burn it)
You'll need to reactivate once you've reinstalled so make sure you have your licence key.

All you need to do is put the XP disc in your drive, set disk drive as primary boot device in BIOS, reboot and you will be prompted to press any key to boot from disc, it's straight forward from there on.

I have my original OEM disc. The disc was designed only for my Dell, but, I'm still using the same HDD's. I tried to use the OEM disc to revert back to factory settings, but, it told me "a more updated version of Windows is already installed." And then it wouldn't let me do anything. I still have my license key. It says on the disc, "only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer, this CD is not for the reinstallation of programs or drivers."

I have my original OEM disc. The disc was designed only for my Dell, but, I'm still using the same HDD's. I tried to use the OEM disc to revert back to factory settings, but, it told me "a more updated version of Windows is already installed." And then it wouldn't let me do anything. I still have my license key. It says on the disc, "only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer, this CD is not for the reinstallation of programs or drivers."
As long as you uninstall from the Dell, and as long as you have the license key, you can install on whatever the hell you want. You may need to make a quick call to Microsoft once you've got it installed to activate as you'll have different hardware, but they'll always give you a new key if you've uninstalled.

When you say the OEM disc, this is a Windows disc, or something Dell? If it's got Dell's name on it then just burn your own. Do a quick search on Piratebay and you'll find an XP .ISO.

As long as you uninstall from the Dell, and as long as you have the license key, you can install on whatever the hell you want. You may need to make a quick call to Microsoft once you've got it installed to activate as you'll have different hardware, but they'll always give you a new key if you've uninstalled.

When you say the OEM disc, this is a Windows disc, or something Dell? If it's got Dell's name on it then just burn your own. Do a quick search on Piratebay and you'll find an XP .ISO.

I'd rather not pirate my operating system. According to my friend, the disc is an OEM disc intended for my system only and is stuck on my computer forever, so, does this mean I have to buy a new Windows OS? Darn. I can spend about $650. So I should be okay, but, that's still a dang inconvenience. Can I use my second D:/ Drive for the Windows OS? I have all my data backed up on it but it still has plenty of space.

As long as you terminate the windows installation on the Dell, you can transfer your license. And downloading an ISO for Windows isn't pirating because you would use the license granted to you by Microsoft (the one that came with the Dell).

Back
Top Bottom