best skill set to re-enter programming?

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I've been out of computer programming for several years and my skills are no longer current. (I used to be an applications programmer.) What does everyone think would be the best skill set to develop in order to re-enter programming as quickly as possible, and what would be the best (and most cost-effective) way to go about developing those skills? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

problem solving is a pretty muhc required skill when programming , and some sort of mathematical skills aimed towards problem solving as well .

problem solving is a pretty muhc required skill when programming , and some sort of mathematical skills aimed towards problem solving as well .

Chances are if he used to program he has that knowledge (as really that doesn't get antiquated).

If you were an application programmer you'd probably be looking at something to do with web applications. Definitely knowing javascript and asp.net with something server side such as c# or vb. Knowing about databases, stored procedures, etc with Sql server, mysql, etc. All in all you probably will pick it up plenty quick. Up until about 2 years ago everything I did was in C++ and the company I work at now does mostly web apps so it's a lot of the .net stuff with database backends.

Oh, as for cost effective way to learn. You can download visual studio 2008 express and sql server express for free from microsoft. Using that with some tutorials on the net would get you the basics and after that your previous knowledge would likely keep you going. Good luck.

another skill i have found when programming is sort of awareness of the end user and what their needs are , so if you are writing a program for a big company that controls warehouse stock you need to be able to recognise that the needs of that user will be different to sya a word processor

Back
Top Bottom