Quad Core vs. Dual Core NOT for gaming

DMickey28

Beta member
Hi. I have been doing research on a new desktop for about two weeks and am soo confused!!

I am willing to build a new computer or just purchase one. I have someone that can help me build it.

I am have no idea if I should be looking at a quad core or dual core. The computer will not be used for gaming. The primary use will be for digital photography, storage and editing in various Photoshop programs. I am an amateur photography with a dSLR and photoshop 7.0 and Elements. I also would like to put on the videos we take of my son and burn them to DVD's with maybe a little editing but nothing too heavy. I will also use email, word and excel along with internet surfing.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on what I should be looking for regarding processors?

I believe that a quad will be best for editing things in photoshop, particularly if you commonly have more than one picture being rendered at once. Let someone else confirm that though.

If I'm wrong about adobe, then you should only need a dual core.

Definitely quad, a lot of media editing apps are multi theaded, where the four cores of the quad can be put to full use.

Back
Top Bottom