Vista Memory Diagnostic - Inactive...

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
My (new) laptop has been playing up a bit...
A few times it has simply gone into what appears to be a sleeping state - but there is nothing that should be triggering it (like idleness, etc) - the monitor turns off, music stops, and it is completely unresponsive to any input other than holding the power button. But the LEDs are still alight and the fans are still spinning.

So, I restarted in the memory diagnostic tool for Vista. I know it said that it may appear inactive at times, but it has been hanging on 05% of the first test for the past half hour.

Is this normal? I don't want to restart in case I damage my system further. I appreciate any comments!
-Rhys

I would try turning off 'sleep".
Click control panel
Click SYS maint.
Click power options
sleep... chng to never

yeah basically what darroll said, thats all i would think of.

But no its not normal, check in your services and turn off any power saving ones.

Is sleeping often an issue with PC's?
I ended up restarting the PC, and while at first it was acting funny, I turned off the page file and turned it back on again (after a suggestion from some googled forum) and it hasn't had a problem since.

I also turned off sleeping etc, because my battery lasts for a good 3 and a half hours on this laptop, and I never need it for that long on batteries so I'm happy to sacrifice a few power saving options.

Thanks for your help!
-Rhys

sleep and hibernate mess around with important windows files and will mess your computer up. stay from using them. shut down or keep it on.

sleep and hibernate mess around with important windows files and will mess your computer up. stay from using them. shut down or keep it on.

very true.
you're better off just turning on your computer when you wake up in the morning, and shutting it down before you go to bed.

Ok, thankyou!
Yeah, I can't help but think it's a little messy with a computer. My LEDs show that there is a 'battery error' whenever its sleeping.

I'm actually pretty sure there's a serious memory issue, Memtest86 and Memtest86+ have both frozen in their tests too. But I'll definitely take on your advice!

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom