linux is underestimated

linuxuser

Solid State Member
Linux is way underestimated by almost everyone,thats to be expected most likely because Linux is not as popular a windows.

which to mention windows would not be here today if Bill Gates didn't break as many laws and steal other peoples code and sell it as his as he did but thats a different conversation.

Getting back on subject Linux is a wonderful OS because its free along with all its programs which are all open source so thats a plus.

and you don't have to run virus software because its really hard to hack and get virus off the internet, not to mention the fact that Linux comes in so many different versions such a Kubuntu for windows users.

and to many others to list but when I listening to all this windows user say Linux sucks and windows is the best! Do a little research and you will find out something interesting.

and that is that windows says they hate Linux but is that why on there official website there using LINUX SERVERS! Hotmail used to use Linux servers but not any more they use windows servers and that explains why hotmail sucks.

now you have to all ways be upgrading your browser. Windows cant stop doing dumb upgrades to make it a little nicer looking instead of fixing the real problems and the operating system!

Windows looks nice but thats all I can say nice about it . Ubuntu may not be as flashy as windows is but Ill tell you why you should over look it

STABILITY Linux is the most stable Operating systems I have every used and I would take stability over flashy appearance any day of the year.

And not to mention Linux programs are small,compact and get the job done so you can have twice the programs in Linux and still have plenty of hard drive space left.

unlike windows were you have to get this monster size programs that eat up your hard drive space that only get a little bit of the job done so you have to have twice the programs at twice the hard drive space to run windows which means more virus software and scans.

and it still does not get the job done. Linux can run on a live CD and Linux has a program called wine so you can run a windows program in it if you want but you don't need it plus no d fragmenting in Linux.

well bro, I've tried may distros of linux and can't stand any of them.
linux might never catch on as a seriously used os because of the way the rules of the open source and beeing free etc.
finding codecs to play things, finding good software such as a media player that is 100% complete, meaning it plays cd,dvd's, mp3, etc etc isn't a reality.
therefore by the time you find everything it need to actually work and install 5 programs to play everything, it's 10X's the size of say windows media player.

I installed ubuntu 8 and it used 5gb of harddrive on just the os alone. so I don't know where you get your facts from but they are skewed a little.

and as for being stable, no it's not. it crased(ok, not exactly crashed but froze up for 10-15min at a time) almost 20 times in 3 months on my new system. where xp pro has never crashed one time on me in 5 years.
vista that I've had for over a year has never had one hiccup either.

linux also makes its folder storgage system a nightmare to find anything.
and if you want that flashy new program such as itunes or be able to use all of your new printers features, you are screwed. because there is never any driver support for a linux os from any printer company out there.

and lets talk about how linux goes about installing programs etc. if you can't get in in the package manager, you have to be a damn software engineer to get it to install.
I don't want to have to sit at a terminal window and type in code to install a simple program that typically once installed doesn't function fully because of the open source bs. then I have to hunt down the rest of the stuff to make it work for days on end.

face it, microsoft has linux beat. that's why you don't see it being sold to the general public much. it reminds me of computers pre windows.
yeah it's that bad to me.

ya okay is that why the military uses Linux. and you don't have to be a software engineer to install stuff you just have to have some smarts! you have add remove software manger

windows and its maker a crap bill gates stole every bit of what windows is made form IBM mac Linux. so get your facts straight look up kunbuntu

ya okay is that why the military uses Linux. and you don't have to be a software engineer to install stuff you just have to have some smarts! you have add remove software manger

windows and its maker a crap bill gates stole every bit of what windows is made form IBM mac Linux. so get your facts straight look up kunbuntu

very nice!

great write up. i don't use linux cause i find it too complicated. i am learning about it tho in school, so maybe one day i'll be able to use it :)

care to elaborate on the lack of printers and other device driver support for linux?
it would be nice to be able to use all of the features of my printer not just the print part.
I have a friend that works for the military installing communications systems in vehicles etc, they use windows.

also care to elaborate why all of the programs rarely are complete and functional? and why none of them are a all in one program? even real player isn't a complete player for linux.
why is that there is no good software for linux?

you may hate bill but it's jealousy.

and again, installing a tar etc file on linux is a absolute nightmare. I wan't to use the computer, not basically work on it or compile the software to make it work.
if you would like to see linux used and accepted on a broad scale, tell your buddies in the industry to make the damn thing actually work.
someone shouldn't have to go to college to learn how to work a OS. that's like telling everyone they have to know how to rebuild the engine in their car in order to be able to drive it first. then telling them it just takes some "smarts" to do.

I like to use and tinker with my 3 computers. but linux is just too much of a backward f'ed up os it's a pain to learn. and nothing works with it. so again, you have to go back to a windows install just so you can use your printers functions etc. linux is stupid.

someone shouldn't have to go to college to learn how to work a OS. that's like telling everyone they have to win a race to drive a car.

you are absolutely correct! +1 for you Mate, that's a great argument you brought up. Curious to see how he will come back to this one :p

I changed my comment. but you quoted my old one...I thought saying it a little different made more sense.

plus windows takes up more than that
who really cares about hard drive space these days? hard drives and external drives are a dime a dozen.

heck just the other day a local computer store (micro center) had a sale for a 600gb sata drive for $79

I changed my comment. but you quoted my old one...I thought saying it a little different made more sense.

who really cares about hard drive space these days? hard drives and external drives are a dime a dozen.

heck just the other day a local computer store (micro center) had a sale for a 600gb sata drive for $79

yeah i just noticed that.

and yeah, hard drive space is no longer an issue for anyone...and like Serpentracer said, they are cheap...so far from being an issue.

Honestly, i don't have anything against Linux, it a choice....which we are all entitled too, i choose Windows cause its easy, you may choose Linux cause you understand it and like...great, its your choice. The closest i'll get to linux right now, is a Mac, since i own a macbook for school :)

serpentracer I just said that because you said Linux takes up 5 g when install more so thats nothing but back on subject Linux is easy to use just show a little commitment to it and in now time you will learn about it i did some research and theres a distro of Linux that be perfect for you and LukaszR its called kunbuntu its 98 percent the same as windows you have a control panel and installing software is as easy a SAVE FILE AS see just like

windows

Back
Top Bottom