ubuntu 8.10 install probs

vampist

Fully Optimized
I have two partitions in my hard drive. One that is 101GB's and another with 10GB's.

I would like to install Linux ubuntu onto the 10gb for a dual boot set up.

Now I have downloaded the install from the site. I have extracted it all onto the 10gb. run Umenu.exe I have tried both install in windows and demo and full installation. Both come to the same problem.

Goes through the install gets to calculating check sums goes slowly through that then goes to creating image and then vista pops up with umenu.exe has stopped working.

I should mention that this is my first Linux install.

easiest way is to get the ISO and burn it to a CD. Then boot off of the CD and install that way.

Ah. Alright. There lies another problem. I have tried burning a couple of Linux distros to Cd's and Dvd's yet for some reason my computer won't load them at start up. and yes I have set up the boot sequence to start with the disk drive.

not to be a jerk but if you can't at least burn a iso and get your computer to start from it, you are going to have a lot of problems with linux.
it isn't user friendly. nothing works unless you find the drivers yourself. and none of the media players etc will play cd or dvd movies etc until you find all of the codecs yourself.
linux is a computer nerds dream, but it's not something for the average computer user especially if you like things to just simply work right out of the box.
you will never find the proper drivers for printers. and if you do, the driver has no support from the printer manufacture. like my hp printer, all I can do with it is print. all of the scanning functions and media card reader funtions, fax functions etc..none of that works.

linux just blows if you don't know how to write your own software basically.

Ok turns out it was the burner program..

Picked up a copy of Poweriso and now we are all good. :cool:

Just got to get the drives for my wlan card. While on the live disk I noticed that the Mobile card setup doesn't have Verizon listed under the setup menu. Problem with compatibility I should know about?

Also anyone know if ubuntu is compatible with a wlan 1390 Mini card?

it isn't user friendly. nothing works unless you find the drivers yourself. and none of the media players etc will play cd or dvd movies etc until you find all of the codecs yourself.
linux is a computer nerds dream, but it's not something for the average computer user especially if you like things to just simply work right out of the box.
you will never find the proper drivers for printers. and if you do, the driver has no support from the printer manufacture. like my hp printer, all I can do with it is print. all of the scanning functions and media card reader funtions, fax functions etc..none of that works.

linux just blows if you don't know how to write your own software basically.

Half of that isn't true. Even with Ubuntu 8.04 I could play music and DVDs without finding codecs, and 8.10 found all of my laptops drivers automatically.

Ok turns out it was the burner program..

Picked up a copy of Poweriso and now we are all good. :cool:

Just got to get the drives for my wlan card. While on the live disk I noticed that the Mobile card setup doesn't have Verizon listed under the setup menu. Problem with compatibility I should know about?

Eh compatibilty is always iffy with linux it may work with a general driver though.

I've always had problems with finding drivers for wireless cards for Ubuntu. On my laptop, if I'm using Ubuntu and I need to get on the internet, I need to have a cable line plugged in to get on. I don't have the same wireless card as you, but wireless drivers for Linux are hard to find. :(

I have ubuntu installed so far so good I do have to plug it in to use the internet. I am going to be searching for some info on wlan cards for it. So far I love ubuntu it's awesome!

One rather minor but nice part I like is I noticed that music would skip when I opened or closed windows on vista.(think it was a memory prob) Doesn't happen on ubuntu :D

EDIT: All good I got the driver working =) WOOHOO! Go Ubuntu!

EDIT:EDIT:
I have a new question but I don't want to make a new thread for a new question about the same general thing. Anyway.

My brother (who happens to be mentally challenged and loves fireworks) was looking at my screen when my screen saver came on and went nuts.
Is it possible to take a Linux screen saver and set it as your screen saver on windows xp?

No it's not a option to install Linux on the other computer.;)

Weird question I know.

Back
Top Bottom