Question about how to "foolproof" a computer?

dsaturday

Beta member
My uncle is older and not great with computers. He has one in his basement and loves to play flight simulator and some other card games. Somehow he will end up messing up a registry value or corrupt a file and I will have to fix it. He always turns the computer off when he is done using it. My question is ... is there any other software like deep freeze that I can use to have his computer return to its previous state? I need something free as I am not going to spend 50 bucks to have a software that can do that. If there are any other types of software out there similar to deep freeze can you guys let me know?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here ya go!
I use it...and it works like a charm...and its FREE :D

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Don't forget to make a bootable disk too!!! cause if u can't access your OS...then your backup is pointless LOL. So run the back up, and then make the disk...and you are good to go.
And if your come crashes...just reload the image...simple eh?? :p

Could you please explain how to use that software a little bit more.

I need something that will restore his computer to its previous state when he turns it off then back on. Sorta like deep freeze.

Is that software like that. Sorry I know computers but have never used a product like this. Please excuse me asking these questions.

Thanks

Ok, let me first understand what you are saying.

You want something that will restore his computer to a previous state EVERY time he turns back on his PC?
If thats what you want, then i don't think i've ever heard of software that does that :confused:

What i gave you above:
Is software that you can use to "Backup" his computer, so that if he messes up anything, all you'd have to do, is re-load the image. Now if thats what you want, then tell me, and i will gladly make a step by step guide for you :)

Well I suppose thats what I would be looking for.

But doesb't deep freeze restore the computer everytime it is turned on.

Like I said please excuse me, as I am not really sure how to do this. I want his computer to be able to be fixed without me having to come over whenever its messed up. So when he turns it back on, his settings are what they were before it was messed up.

If thats not possible, I would like help on how to use Drive backup express.

Thanks

Ok well what you can do...is take away Administrative Privileges from him. that would mean he couldn't screw anything up in the registry and system files cause he wouldn't be able to access them without the Admin settings.

Just be sure to create another account called Administrator or something so that if u need to install or fix something u can.

I guess that would be what I need to due. I thought that there might be something like schools use. When some dumb student messes up a computer is isnt messed up fo good because when it gets turned off. It is exaclty how they left it.

Faeonics Deep Freeze claims that their software does this. This is from their web site:

Absolute Protection
Guarantees 100% workstation recovery on restart

I dont know but thats sorta what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom